Author Topic: Gettin' BAHA done...tomorrow!! (2/25)  (Read 7314 times)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Gettin' BAHA done...tomorrow!! (2/25)
« on: February 24, 2011, 04:18:51 pm »
Well, I am getting my BAHA screwed into my skull tomorrow morning...I feel about the same as I did with my middle fossa over a year ago.  I've heard it's a piece of cake so I am going in armed with that knowledge, which is indeed comforting! It just goes to show you how researching these kinds of things can make all the difference. I think I brought it up before, but when I had my AN surgery, we talked to different people that were coming in after me, and you could tell the ones that had not found places like this discussion forum. They had very little info on what was to come, and that in turn made them that much more nervous.  Anyways...wish me luck on this one small thing and I'll see you all on the other side! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Gettin' BAHA done...tomorrow!! (2/25)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 04:36:53 pm »
Jay ~

I know you'll sail through this procedure just fine.  As you noted, your knowledge about the implant makes it much easier.   Just for the fun of it: good luck!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 04:40:10 pm »
Good luck Jay! BAHA is a piece of cake!

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

ombrerose4

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 07:32:17 pm »
Congratulations on getting your Baha-  I was in and out of the procedure room in one hour and had minimal pain after surgery, as many have said, much easier than AN surgery :)  I hope Jan and Lori knew you were having this done and you received their special package. Have an easy time tomorrow and let us know how you feel.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

newmommyLA

• My Caring Bridge Journal
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 08:47:02 pm »
Jay!  I just had my demo today and I'm sold!  I am also getting the Ponto Pro.  I'll wait a bit for insurance and then a few months before they attach the processor, but I think it is great.  It's a little weird when you plug your ear and they talk to you on the deaf side.  I know you're not SSD, but it sounded like a microphone and not real sound.  Once I unplugged my good ear, it seemed a lot more "natural".

Jay, keep us posted on your experience.  And, it's not brain surgery.  At house Clinic they told me they just tap into the skull and don't go nowhere near the brain:)

You're gonna do great!
6mmx8mm AN rt side.  Mid-fossa surgery HEI House/Schwartz 10/28/09.  Temp facial paralysis (8 weeks), SSD, severe tinnitus & hyperacusis, tumor all gone.  12/23/09 cochlear nerve section (trying to reduce tinnitus) no major improvement on tinnitus. Trying biofeedback/neurofeedback for tinnitus.

jaylogs

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 03:20:55 pm »
Hello folks...well, I made it through with no problems! I got the nice cup bandage thing going on (Looks like I am wearing half a bra on my head!)  They did knock me out a little bit for it, but I was aware of them screwing things in towards the end. I think the worse part of the whole thing was when they took off that self adhesive napkin thing they put around the surgery site. It was attached directly to my face and you know how it goes when tape leaves the face...ouch!  And yes, I did get the infamous BAHA post recovery kit from Jan and Lori...you guys rock!!!  Thanks to all who've made this such an easy experiment!

Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 03:37:02 pm »
Congratulations, Jay.  Better hearing is just weeks away!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 08:13:55 pm »
Jay,

Sounds like it went over pretty well for you today!   It's funny how people refer to that covering as part of a bra. LOL   I've seen pictures on facebook posts or on Cochlear America community forum or maybe on here when I was really thinking I was able to get one, does look like bra  ;)

Take care of yourself and keep us posted!!!     Hope to join you some day!

Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

lori67

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 09:06:42 pm »
Congratulations, Jay!  Glad it went well!

Also glad you got your recovery kit - just in time!   ;)

I hope the time until Gotcha Day goes quickly for you!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Puppylove

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 11:59:25 pm »
Congrats Jay. I'm hoping to be soon behind you  :)

Can you tell me why you chose the Ponto over the BP100?  Dr. Friedman (at House) was kind of leaning towards the Ponto Pro, but when I had my evaluation (at House as well), the guy there was leaning more towards the BP100.  I'm just curious, as I'm trying to figure out which one I should choose.

I hope your recovery is quick and easy.  ;)

Debbie
Diagnosed with AN on left side 11/5/10. The              
approximate dimensions are 14 mm AP x 18 mm TR x 15 mm CC.
Retrosig surgery w/ Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz at HEI on 1/12/11. Entire tumor removed with no facial weakness.
BAHA surgery 3/29/11

jaylogs

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 07:52:27 am »
Thanks for the well wishes everyone!! Debbie...I guess these things are kind of decided by the individual doctor.  If you read up on Jan (leapyeartwins) posts about the BP100 vs Ponto, as well as other peoples, you'lll see there's pro's and cons to both.  I never even tried the BP100, to be honest.  I am sure I would have like it as well, but the doctor suggested this first, and after researching it here, I decided that was one.  So I guess the answer to your question of why I chose one over the other is, I have no answer...:)  I hope that makes sense.  Both are very good devices, both have good things about them.  Cochlear has been making these things for a long time, so the BP100 is proven technology. Ponto is the new kid on the block and as such they might have some new innovations that the other hasn't incorporated into their devices.  I know I am really summarizing these things as there are a lot more things to consider, but I felt it was a six in one hand, half a dozen in the other.  Anyways, take care everyone, and I'll let ya know how things go as they progress!
Ja

Mei Mei

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 06:34:36 pm »
Glad you're on your way to the hearing world!   I like your decision process.   Best to go with the tried out trusted one.   Sometimes too many frills are never even used.

Recover well and hope it doesn't itch too much!
Mei Mei    ;D
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

newmommyLA

• My Caring Bridge Journal
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 07:30:18 pm »
Jay!
Glad you're feeling well.  I'm sure the "head-bra" is very temporary.  It makes me think of Weird Science:)  I'm going full steam ahead with my Ponto and Dr Friedman, yes, I swiched doctors and don't regret it for a minute,  suggested the same for me.  I know it's not Cochlear and it was explained to me that they have the ownership of "Baha", but it's the same thing.  Also, the Ponto is supposed to help more in noisy settings.  We'll see.  It's all weird when you only listen through the device, but I have a lot of hope that I'll be saying "Huh?" a lot less frequently.  Plus, you can take it off whenever you want.

Keep us posted on your recovery.  Dr Friedman, who is now my new best friend, said he'd put me under general if I want. 

Best  wishes for you and improved hearing!

Amy
6mmx8mm AN rt side.  Mid-fossa surgery HEI House/Schwartz 10/28/09.  Temp facial paralysis (8 weeks), SSD, severe tinnitus & hyperacusis, tumor all gone.  12/23/09 cochlear nerve section (trying to reduce tinnitus) no major improvement on tinnitus. Trying biofeedback/neurofeedback for tinnitus.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 09:37:14 am »
Jay -

Congrats on becoming another member of the "BAHA club".

I'm glad your surgery went smoothly.  I'm also glad that you liked your Official BAHA Recovery Kit.  Many thanks to Lori who managed to get it out when I was knee-deep in moving boxes  ;D  I'm actually still knee deep in moving boxes, but that's another story.

When's your Gotcha Day?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jaylogs

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 12:01:09 pm »
Thank you again Jan!! :)  I am not sure when my gotcha day is, I think I'll find out when I go in on the 7th for my first follow up.  Newmommy, I had to laugh at that "Weird Science" reference, that was one of my favorite movies! I had forgotten about that one!  So, the surgery site is still leaking a bit. I washed my hair for the first time today (with of course a cup over the abutment).  I feel almost human!  ;D I can't wait until the 7th now so I can get this thing off me...but like it has been said a dozen times, this is so much more manageable than my AN surgery!  I hope you all have a great week! Take care!
Jay