Author Topic: and the beat goes on '''''  (Read 5749 times)

reg

and the beat goes on '''''
« on: February 22, 2011, 08:41:28 am »
 ???after all the symptons accompanying this bogger, and just when i was getn used to liven with them, along comes another. has anyone experienced a beatn sound in side thier head (sounds like a boomin sound not loud but loud enough to be annoyn)? and the beat goes on (smile)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:43:16 am by reg »
4.5 cm retro surgical removal dec 06

tenai98

Re: and the beat goes on '''''
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:25:39 am »
Tinnitus comes in many sounds...Mine was crickets or more like a rushing water in a creek...Soothing but still annoying
Jo
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Mark241

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 09:37:09 am »
I have been getting a new sound like a rumble, then goes away, is that kinda what your describing?
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

Chris P

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:14:28 am »
Hi ,  Yes I have a similar sound from time to time.  There are some days it is louder than others .  I had my GK surgery June 2010 and although I always had some ringing it was not all that bad.  Now I have different sounds and like I mentioned some days louder than others.  I think it is just something we have to live with .

Four months after my GK I also got facial weakness.  It has gotten a little better but I still am not back to normal.  I just take it one day at a time.  I think with AN everyone has different experiences but we all feel for each other and wish each other well .   Hang in there and just take it one day at a time.

Chris P

Small AN 14mm , right side , Gamma Knife Radiation 6/22/10 Gainsville, Florida.
Balance issues, hearing loss and facial weakness appeared four months post op.

reg

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 03:33:00 pm »
thanks 4 replies and yes a rumblin noise is exactly how it sounds, had a mri performed cause it scared me, everthing normal "thank GOD"  had appt with primary provider for sinucitus infection if still hearn noises after antibotics he will schedule appt with ent and the beat still goes on ???

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 07:14:23 am »
Does it come and go?   Ever kind of like a heartbeat on & off?   

I sometimes get an on & off whooshing sound or something that sounds like a semi truck driving in my head.

I was told it could be fluid behind the ear & use sudafed (or a decongestant).  And if that didn't help would try a steroid.  For me the sudafed did seem to help.

I DO have tinnitus TOO, that is something completely different though.   That is constant & don't go away for me, that is why I asked if it comes & goes.

W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

sunfish

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 08:54:05 am »
I have lots of experience with this.  I have a sound that goes "thump, thump, thump" every so often.  Also have a sound which I think is related that is a low rumbling.  My ENT office was closed the first time this happened.  I googled "why do I hear thumping sound?" and got a good answer - it's from a muscle spasm in the middle ear.

I verified this with the ENT at my next appointment.  There are tiny muscles in your middle and inner ear that can be affected by AN.  They are controlled by the facial nerve, from what I read.  They can spasm, and cause a thumping sound.  This is different from "pulsatile tinnitus," which makes sounds in a rhythm with your heart.

Ask your doctor what they think about this possible explanation.  Just another symptom/side effect of AN and its treatment, in my opinion . . .
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 10:24:50 am »
The heartbeat in the ear was one of the first things I noticed way before my diagnosis, didn't know what it was.  It has since gone on to a very bad case of tinnitus with its own life of pitches, and crackling.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 02:57:31 pm »
from my understanding.... the "beat" or "heartbeat" sound is typically known as "pulsating tinnitus"... and yes, although Capt Deb had noted it to me in the past.... I've had the "crickets" one time (and I happened to be outside when it happened).... "crickets" was very weird to me..... I get the "pulsating" tinnitus when I'm overtired or overly-stressed.

Just my 2 cents......
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

reg

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 03:37:51 pm »
hi all. beat still there after a round of steriods and antibiotics unfortunately, the noise puzzled me because it started almost five years  after the surgery, i guess its something i got to live with (but i hope it will cease) anyhow thanks for replies

lori67

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 04:34:41 pm »
Reg,

You need to turn off the Sonny and Cher album.   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

reg

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 01:51:26 pm »
 ;)lori67 i wish it was as easy as tying a yellow ribbon around the old oak tree :) :)