Author Topic: Case Is Cracked Agaim!  (Read 4673 times)

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
Case Is Cracked Agaim!
« on: May 05, 2011, 01:34:17 pm »
On April 20th I returned my BP3 to Cochlear for repair. The case had a crack in it even with the mounting screw and to have the plastic membrane replaced. My BAHA returned home on April 29th.

This morning I was replacing the battery and noticed a crack on the same sided and same place.Needless to say I am very disappointed that I have to send it in again one week later. I have an audiologist appointment on the 11th and will send it back again.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: Case Is Cracked Agaim!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 10:05:43 am »
Hopefully I will have mine back on Monday. It came back with a new case about 3 weeks ago, and just cracked again last Monday.

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 01:30:27 pm »
I don't understand why Cochlear are still using the same defective part to replace the current broken case.  Don't you think they would use a better material or design by now? ???
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

keithk

• Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 04:11:40 pm »
I am looking at mine closely and the side looks like the side with the crack has a very slight arc to it. Also the plastic membrane is starting to come off again. Its going in next week after my audiologist appointment. This better not be an ongoing problem.
8mm x 5mm left side
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA activation 2/1/11

tenai98

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 06:36:49 pm »
i'm stilling for mine.  Audiologist mailed it today...When it comes in, i'll be looking at it with a close eye and magnifying glass..my case was cracked too...but i thought because i had dropped it once...maybe, maybe not it was the cause...I'm also anticipating the Ponto pro to come in for a trial run....my audiologist is anxious to see which one i like...and as luck as it, Oticon has a promotion on,....Got the cochlear on a promotion too...
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

keithk

• Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 10:33:16 am »
I sent a message to Chris H who is the BAHA awareness manager for Cochlear about the cracked cases. This is his reply:

We are aware of the crack problem and have engineered a solution. I was told that a new case design was in place as of two or three weeks ago, but I could be mistaken. I know it is in place today.

Here's Cochlear's challenge. Even though we recognized the crack problem months ago and designed a correction, all changes need to go through the Food&Drug Administration and be approved, before we can make the changes.
8mm x 5mm left side
BAHA activation 2/1/11

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 02:12:04 pm »
More government wasted "Red Tape" just to fix the cracked case problem is a bunch of Bull!  >:(
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

james e

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 04:11:59 pm »
Just got my BAHA back today...sent it in May 3...said they have no idea why it took so long to return it. It is great to have it back. Now my wife can turn the TV down and I can stop saying "what did you say?"

james e

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 10:53:29 am »
Keith, the Cochlear service department said I have the new case. The FDA is a corrupt government organization that is more interested in politics than medicine or food, and Ken is totally correct. My wife just retired from one of the 2 largest "big pharmacy" companies in the world, and there is not a level playing field in the drug business. Big pharmacy is not the problem...big government is the problem.

keithk

• Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 02:14:19 pm »
James,

I hope your new case solves your problem. Keep us up to date.

The worst thing a person could here is " I am from the government and here to help"
8mm x 5mm left side
BAHA activation 2/1/11