Author Topic: anyone has the same symtoms?  (Read 5551 times)

zhengcw

anyone has the same symtoms?
« on: February 14, 2011, 01:20:15 pm »
Hi,

After 5 months surgical, I still feel numbness ( which is worse than pre-treated) on head, and headach every day (have to take pain killer every 8 hours). Does anyone have the same symtoms after trans-lab?

Thanks!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: anyone has the same symtoms?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 10:25:00 pm »
I had retrosigmoid (also known as sub-occipital) and had a numb skull for many, many months.  Never experienced any headaches, but lots of AN patients do.

The numbness will go away in time.  If the headaches persist, you need to seek medical attention for them.  Ask your surgeon if he/she can recommend a headache doctor.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

zhengcw

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 07:31:50 am »
Thank you much

kathleenanna

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 06:24:38 pm »
Hi...................I am 5 months post op also......and I am still a little numb on my head.  As far as headaches go, mine come and go and seem to be just a dull ache.  I still have more of the wonky, heavy head feeling.  How are you with the fatigue?  I did go back to work full time Jan 3rd and am still very tired when I get home from work.  Not much stamina. But I am seeing improvements with each couple weeks that pass.   My eyes seem to be the "new" issue!  I wear invisible bifocals and have never had any problem wearing them.  Until now!  Just can't seem to feel comfortable in them.  I think they are making me feel more dizzy than if I didnt wear them.  But if I dont wear them, I can't see!!!!   So, I am trying to work thru this!!   I take Tylenol arthritus for my back twice a day so I am sure that that is helping with the headaches also.  Hope yours start to subside, but if not, I would talk to your doctor..........Take care.......Kathleen Anna
translab on Sept 15, 2010 at Univ of Penn
2cm AN on left side
ssd
some balance issues

JAndrews

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 06:49:18 pm »
I had numbness off and on for atleast a year maybe longer, but no headaches..which I am very thankful for. Maybe its the fatigue causing the headaches?
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

Asa52

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 08:16:02 pm »
It's been 5 months post-surgery for me as well.  And yes, like you, I also have numbness on the skull directly around the surgical area.  I'm sure it's resulting from nerve damage (i.e., being cut), but I'm no doctor.

No headaches, though. 

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 02:48:25 pm »
Zhengcw ~

I underwent retrosigmoid approach AN surgery in June, 2006.  The operation was successful with no complications (no headaches) but the incision area on my skull remained sensitive (not really sore) for approximately 9 months to a year.  Now, almost 5 years later, it is no more sensitive than the rest of my skull, although if I lay on that side (my left) it does get uncomfortable, so I simply avoid laying my head down on that side.  Based on that experience, I would suggest that your skull needs more time to fully heal.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 11:36:46 am »
I had translab almost six years ago and I still have numbness and tenderness. My doctors say that for some it never goes away.  I try hard not to lay my head on my incision side and avoid any situation that is going to add stress to that side....which isn't always easy.  Every person is different and heals at a different rate.
Good luck,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

rayden1

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 01:37:46 pm »
Hi

4 yrs post surgery, still have tenderness on that side. It is not numb but feels different to right side. No headaches thank god but do have nerve pain more so when tired. Hope you start to feel better soon.

ann x

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 08:03:12 am »
I still have numbness on that side 4 years post op
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

ilsemor

• 1.4mm, translab at House w/Dr. Slattery 7/6/09
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 03:12:15 pm »
I found that acupuncture help me with the numbness.  It also helped me so I could sleep on the surgical side.

I went to acupuncture  4 times a week for 3 months, twice a week for 3 months and then every 3 weeks for about another month.  I only wish it wasn't so expensive to continue going.  :(