Author Topic: Medical Alert Braclet  (Read 2971 times)

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
Medical Alert Braclet
« on: February 16, 2011, 04:29:54 pm »
Earlier this week there was a blog poating on the Coclear Community site about edical alert cards and bracelets. I was wondering if anyone here wears one. On Monday I had my six month MRI and there was some concern arout the implant. I had to show then the information card from Coclear. I am thinking it might be a good idea in the event of a medical emergency where you can't speak for yourself.

http://www.cochlearcommunity.com/baha/weblog/9443.html
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Medical Alert Braclet
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 05:12:00 pm »
Good point.  I just had my 3 year MRI and went to a new facility.  I had a heck of a time convincing them that the abutment wasn't going to come exploding out the side of my head.  Finally the surgeon had to fax them saying that the abutment was MRI compatible.  I guess I forgot that not everyone knows about BAHA.   

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 03:09:25 am »
You should not have to worry about going thru MRI.  I work in the hospital and I can tell you what the nurses in ER told me that they would do CT Scan or X-Ray first before anything else.  They get faster results from CT Scan than MRI.  They will not do MRI if they suspect any metal objects on body. 
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

sunfish

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 07:34:23 am »
I have a "Road ID," which is a sort of medical alert bracelet for cyclists and runners.  I used to have one that I wore on my ankle for cycling.  One day I was in a serious crash, and went to the hospital in the ambulance.  No one noticed the ID on my ankle!  Many people who wear these recommend you wear them on your wrist, and not around your ankle or on a necklace, as they may be more noticeable to emergency personnel.  Also, like plenty of folks, I'm allergic to CT contrast dye.  I was about half conscious that day, and was able to advise them of my allergy before they did the head CT.  After this incident, I got an ID that goes around my wrist, and that shows my CT contrast allergy.  The website is www.roadid.com, and they have a variety of styles and a web-based version available.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Paul F

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 12:11:03 pm »
I just recently had a full brain MRI and was concerned about the tech not being familiar with the BAHA implant.  I showed him the card that Chochlear provides.  He took the card, then brought it back about 10 minutes later and said "no problem".  I guess its a good idea to have the card handy.  A bracelet may work but I think a card would have more info.

Paul

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 04:40:28 pm »
Don't have a medical alert bracelet myself.

The BAHA card from Cochlear came in handy when I had my first MRI post implant.  Since I frequent the same place for my MRIs, subsequent MRIs weren't even a question; they had noted the information in my file.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways