Author Topic: Physician in Chicago  (Read 4520 times)

justducky

Physician in Chicago
« on: January 05, 2011, 02:17:38 pm »
I just found this site. My husband was diagnosed with this condition and we are looking to find the BEST doc in Chicago area. Please send recommendations and experiences you have had.
Husband with AN 2.1 x 1.2 cm right ear. Had translab surgery 2/9/11. Recovering nicely. No facial nerve damage.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Physician in Chicago
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 03:08:49 pm »
Hi justducky ......

Welcome to this Forum.  So glad you found us in spite of our recent transition to a new web developer.

I do not live in the Chicago area, but Jan does and I know she will be along soon with more information.

I chose to go to Duke University (a 5 hour drive from my home) for surgery for my AN.  Because ANs are so rare, it really is vitally important to have the most experienced (in AN treatment) medical professionals you can find.

In the meantime, if you have not already done so, send for the free informational materials from the Acoustic Neuroma Association.  http://anausa.org/index.php?option=com_aicontactsafe&view=message&layout=message&pf=4&Itemid=195  They provide a wealth of information and much reassurance.

Tell us a little bit more about your husband's symptoms and size of his AN.  And gather those questions and ask away ..... although most of us are not medically trained, there are many on here willing to share their experiences.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 03:25:35 pm »
justducky~
Jan will pop in when she gets off work - I let her know that you were on here & inquiring about her neck of the woods!   Welcome to our little part of the world!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 06:06:16 pm »
I am not a Chicago person but an Iowa one and the University of Iowa has a very sucessful neurotologist who has done ANs for many years and does approx 60 a year when I last asked.     Could be more by now.    Dr Bruce Gantz.           There have many come from out of state to him. Several of us Iowans on the forum also.         He is only pro surgery though so not one to ask much about radiation.           Jan will also tell of her good experience with her dr closer to you.
                                                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

psmix

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 06:30:55 pm »
I've just met with the top two AN surgeons in the Chicago area. They are Dr. Wiet at the Chicago Ear Institute in Hinsdale, and Dr. Leonetti at Loyola Medical Center in Maywood. Dr. Wiet comes very highly recommended by the surgeons he worked with at Evanston Hospital, where he was head of the Otolarygology dept., and is very experienced with ANs. However, I believe the Dr. Leonetti has established a stronger reputation in the field and he has excellent outcome statistics. I'm sure he is very good. I didn't really "click" personality-wise with either one of them.

I ultimately decided to go to the House Ear Clinic in LA for the most expert care in the country. I have a large tumor and already had one translab surgery. Unfortunately, my tumor is growing back pretty fast, so I want to go "straight to the top" this time.

Let me know if you need any further contact information. Good luck!

Pam
Right AN diagnosed Sept. 2010 - 4 cm x 3 cm x 3 cm
Debulked via translab Sept. 2010
Removed at House Feb. 2011
CSF leak with blind sac closure and lumbar drain March 2011
Unresponsive facial nerve, platinum weight
SSD

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 07:40:14 pm »
Ducky -

no need for your husband to go to House in Los Angeles.  There are some great doctors in the Chicago area.

Dr. Richard Wiet or Dr. Robert Battista - both neurotologists (Battista is mine) - are excellent.  They are with the Ear Institute of Chicago (www.chicagoear.com).  They both teach at Northwestern Medical School and have stellar reputations.  They do both radiation (GK) and surgery.  For radiation they only work with one radiation oncologist and for surgery they only work with one neurosurgeon.  

Dr. Wiet is the more experienced of the two - mainly because he's older and been in the AN "business" for years - but Dr. Battista is definitely not inexperienced.  Dr. Wiet is also on the ANA's medical advisory board and sponsored the 2009 ANA Symposium which was held in Chicago.

I'll confess I'm partial to Dr. Battista - he did both my AN surgery and my BAHA surgery and I've sent lots of people to him; all are very happy.  He is very thorough, very low-key, compassionate, caring, and has a great bedside manner.  I'd imagine that Dr. Wiet does too, but I've never experienced it firsthand.  The outcome of my AN surgery was excellent.  

I've heard of Dr. Leonetti but never consulted with him.  I know some patients of his who are highly satisfied and some who are highly unsatisfied.  They are not so much happy or unhappy with their outcome, but with him and his staff.  I'm not endorsing their opinion either way; might be a matter of "clicking" like Pam mentioned.

I just send you a PM with some more specific information.

Jan
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:42:37 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

justducky

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 10:56:49 am »
Hi All, I apologize for not writing back sooner. I didn't receive any notifications via email that anyone had replied to my post. Maybe there is a setting that I need to set?

We went yesterday for a 2nd option to see Dr. Wiet in Hinsdale. We were extremely impressed by his professionalism, his knowledge, his track record, and the care he seems to have for his patients. He appears to be more on the 'surgical' end of treatment, but he told us it is our decision whether to go with the radition or surgery. he recommends surgery.

The tumor is what is  considered 'medium' sized. There doesn't appear to be any problem right now with my husband's facial nerve being involved as he has no twitching and can feel on his face just fine, which the Doctor says is great.

We just have this decision to make of whether to do the radiation or whether to do the surgery. The surgery 'concern' is the facial disfigurement that could happen.

Any help or experiences are appreciated. We are on the fence at this point but do realize we do need to act one way or the other. I tend to want him to get the surgery but he tends to lean toward the radiation.
I'm completely new here so any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Husband with AN 2.1 x 1.2 cm right ear. Had translab surgery 2/9/11. Recovering nicely. No facial nerve damage.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 09:20:19 pm »
ducky -

there is no setting when people reply to your posts, you just need to check back.  You will get notification though if you PM someone and they respond.

I know lots of couples who differed on treatment choice.  Best advice I can give you is let your husband make up his mind - and support whatever choice he makes.  It's his tumor, it's his brain, it's his choice. 

No matter how great your relationship may be, you don't want to second guess his opinion or have him bring that up to you later.

Just my two cents worth,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

justducky

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 09:43:39 am »
I hear ya....