Author Topic: Spinning head - "whizzing and whooshing"  (Read 3628 times)

tor

Spinning head - "whizzing and whooshing"
« on: January 21, 2011, 03:25:32 am »
Hi

I hope you dont mind a post from the UK - seems there is a lot more info / support out here in the USA.

My 36 yr old wife had a 20mm AN treated with GK (Sheffield, UK) about 20 mths ago.   Her last MRI 6mths ago indicated the AN was static / may have even shrunk a very little.

However - she seems to be increasingly having problems with what she describes as sporadic spiining, and a feelinf of "whizzing and whooshing" - like her head is spinning around / feeling giddy.

- Any reason this would seemingly becoming more frequent / intense?

- Your ideas what could affect this - diet? Hydration? Would 'time of the month' have an influence??  It seems to be much worse during her period...does this makes sense?

- Other than travel sickness tablets (which can make you drowzy), any other medicine to help with this?

- She is a fit and active mother of 2 small kids and hence a hectic and physical lifestyle...would Vestib. rehabilitation help at all?   In the UK the physio side of AN treatment isnt very well known or practiced...she has simply been given a photocopy A4 sheet with a few head exercises to do....But is there a more appropriate programme of treatment / physio you could recommend (that I could then look to secure here in the UK).   Does anyone have any expericen of such treatments care to comment on the impact / success??

Basically, im looking for confirmation that her symptoms are in keeping with her diagnosis, and constructive ideas on how she better manage the situation?

All i seem to glean is that "this spinning may be in keeping with her AN etc....just get on with it" - but very little else.

Many Thanks in advance - all feedback greatly appreciated,

Steve - husband on behalf of Tor.

mattsmum

Re: Spinning head - "whizzing and whooshing"
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 04:26:46 am »
hi - i  am a patient in uk (birmingham). i understand that worsening balance probs can occur up to a couple of years after radiosurgery. has she discussed with whoever is following her up? where i am it is audiological services that provide vestibular rehab. i cant recommend anyone yet, as i start it next week! it is a hearing therapist from the balance clinic in the audiology department that will see me.
when i went there for my assessment, i was told it was really important to keep active despite the dizziness or it would get woorse. i was also told that being younger (i am 45 so a lot older than your wife!) was a good thing in terms of likelihood to respond to rehab.
best wishes.
LINAC radiosurgery july 2011 for 1.5cm tumour (uk)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 05:54:31 am »
Steve

Hello and welcome.  1/2 Yorkie here (although I live in the States, Gran's family from Sheffield and Leeds... my spouse's family down in Dorset) and glad to help if we can.

Your wife is at that point of post-treatment (radio ie: GK or CK or other radio treatments) that these things could crop up.  At 20 mos post-radio treatment, issues could arise, much like you are noting (what we refer to as "wonky head"... that dizzy/head disconnect feel).  Suggestion is to alert the radio team of what is going on as they may have recommendations such as vestibular therapy or medications (ie: steroids) to help resolve the issue. Please keep the GK team aware of what is going on as they can make suggestions on how to nip these issues.  No, she is certainly not alone in what she is experiencing as many here (myself included) have noted some of these issues over time.

Again, welcome to you and your wife.

Cheers!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 03:38:16 pm »
Hi, Steve ~

Welcome to the ANA (USA) website discussion forums.  We have visitors from the U.K. - and all over the world - so another U.K. poster is quite welcome.  I'm sorry to learn of your wife's equilibrium problems and the discomfort she is enduring.  Fortunately fellow moderator Phyl and mattsmum have submitted suggestions because I have none to offer (I had surgery and FSR). You'll probably receive more from folks who've undergone the GammaKnife procedure (there are many).  You'll find that these are very active forums with many members who are eager to help, advise and support, so you've come to a good place - for both you and Tor.  I trust your wife's post-radiation symptoms will either abate or be helped with therapy, etc.  Please keep us informed.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.