Author Topic: Headaches and flying  (Read 9181 times)

Lupy

Headaches and flying
« on: June 14, 2011, 06:35:34 pm »
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what peoples experiences of flying have been in regards to setting off pain? My doctors have told me that the changes in pressure might affect my pain levels adversely. Have other people had pain during or after their flights? (I am flying for the first time in a few weeks - the first time since my operation, and I am a bit nervous!)

Thanks for any input,

Lupy  :)
“Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved” S. Kierkegaard

2.5cm Tumour removed 1/7/2009
Retrosigmoid @ The Royal Melbourne
Debilitating headaches/migraines from 2 weeks post surgery till current.

Mei Mei

Re: Headaches and flying
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 08:48:17 am »
Don't worry.   I flew for the first time seven months after my surgery from Washington to Tokyo to Taiwan to Beijing and back again.  I had no problems with that or a short trip to Cleveland.   I did have a terrible time on a trip from Boston to Paris.   My neck C-1 and C-2 was swelling and I had a lot of stiffness for the first week being there and in Istanbul.   The trip back to Boston went fine though.   So on the whole I haven't been having many problems with flying.    I do make sure I have that Brookston Tempupedic pillow with me on all flights and lately I've been sleeping with it at home.

Hope this helps.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

tenai98

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 10:07:27 am »
I flew 9 months after surgery with no problems whatsoever
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 01:22:07 pm »
I think this is one of those situations which is very, very individual and I also think it's important not to have folks nervous about flying after AN surgery because they fear it will routinely cause headaches.

Many, if not most, patients who travel for their surgery don't experience pain in flight. I flew from Los Angeles to Newark Liberty International Airport ten days after my AN surgery and had no issues at all. I have flown a lot in the three and a half years since then -- both domestically and abroad -- and have experienced no discomfort.

Admittedly this is just my experience ... but please don't think that AN surgery equals a lifetime of headaches when you fly.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 04:55:04 pm »
I agree with Catherine.

Headaches are a very individual thing and none of us can say you will or will not have a problem.  My hope is the pressurization in the plane will not adversely affect you.

I flew from LA to Washington, DC 12 days post-op with no problem.  I made sure to get up and walk the length of the plane every half hour, but that was to avoid blood clots, not for headache reasons.  We even had terrible flight delays due to weather that meant we did not reach our final destination until after 2:00 in the morning ..... 17 hours in airports or planes was not a good experience ..... but no headache, just major fatigue!

Clarice

Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 07:11:44 pm »
I am one that does have issues, post treat, with air cabin pressure and headaches.  I've now been diagnosed with non-AN related migraines and on meds to help the cause.  Long haul flights do bother me.  Tomorrow is my first flight in over 2 yrs (to the ANA symposium) and am nervous as my migraines have enhanced over the past 6 mos (again, not AN or treatment related)..... but, all my drs are working closely with me to help try to make it as best as possible.

It is a very individual situation and as noted, some experience it, some don't. I'm thrilled to see  those that don't and am jealous as such! :)  Here's hoping the flights I'm doing in the next few days are easy and I'm able to join your club :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Mei Mei

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 08:06:56 pm »
My blessings to you and all of us, Phyl that are flying today and tomorrow to meet each other.  as is said in French
Bon Voyage et Bon Retour.

Hope you got there headache free.
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Lupy

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 08:05:45 pm »
Thanks for your input everyone! I guess it is just my anxiety getting the better of me. I think sometimes Doctors can say things without thinking and not realise how seriously and deeply we can take things to heart! Anyway, I will be flying with much more confidence next week. And whether or not I get a headache, I am really looking forward to my first real holiday after surgery. And Byron Bay should be a great place to relax, heal, eat, drink and maybe even get a massage or two!   ;D

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 04:26:02 am »
Lupy,

Well, returned from the symposium and can report this... if it helps.

I did have issues arriving into Cinci (again, only personal and not broad for all AN'ers) due to weather conditions on the plane landing.  Did bring my "arsenal" from my local pharmacy with me, per my PCP instructions, just in case.

Sat in on the "Headache" workshop at the symposium and asked this very question about headaches and flying (not only on my own behalf but your's and others).  The neurologist heading the workshop noted that cabin air pressure can affect some (but not all folks) and that he recommended making sure you keep VERY hydrated during the flight and that sometimes (and not all... and ONLY with dr's supervision) that it is ok to "pre-medicate" just before the flight takes off to help "nip" any potential issues before they may occur.  Now, this is not for everyone and since I am under extreme dr supervision (plus, my brain NS was on my flight home -- she was presenting at the symposium -- and well-aware of my headache issues inbound to the symposium), I did "pre-medicate" slightly (1/2 dose) for the flight home and it did, in my case, help alleviate the situation.

Again, I am only sharing my own personal experience and this is not to be taken as dr's advise for you but you may want to discuss with your own PCP or headache dr (ie: neurologist, etc) to alert them that this is potential recommendation of others and see if it is applicable for you, if the case warrants it.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Lupy

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 08:03:37 pm »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the info Phyl. Weirdly enough I did exactly what you did pre-flight as in I pre-medicated and it worked a treat. I found that the pressure changes going up and down affected my head a little bit (a little bit like being punched in the face) but not toooooo badly. I also experieneced a lot of strange smells that no-one else did. However, once the plane reached top altitude I was fine. No headaches post flight either. I have a short flight again today so will stick with the same routine and see how I go. Today, Byron Bay tomorrow, THE WORLD hehehehe  ;) ;D

Lupy

Mei Mei

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 08:56:49 pm »
Enjoy your trip.  It's fun to travel as long as you are feeling well!
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo