Author Topic: Anyone had to remove Baha abutment before MRI?  (Read 16957 times)

opp2

Re: Anyone had to remove Baha abutment before MRI?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 12:46:50 pm »
Thanks Jan!
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Nancy T

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 09:38:11 am »
I have been thinking about BAHA lately. The hardest time I have is when someone is on my left talking away and I'm getting mmmbbmbmbmbmmb...

Yes, having to do the "one-ear do-si-do" (constantly switching sides with people).... I remember it well! Note that I said "remember"--because with the Baha,  you don't have to do it anymore! :)

Nor the constant head-turning... nor the scouting out of seats (now you can sit anywhere you want).... it's very nice to have that be a PAST part of my life.

Disadvantages: you have to protect the processor from rain, can't lay your head back in a chair with the processor on, a little feedback sometimes but that's no biggie. You get used to it. To me it has been very well worth it--it's a great help to me at work and in some social situations.

Good luck if you decide to get a Baha!

Nancy
Sudden sensorineural hearing loss, left side, 1999 (no acoustic neuroma)
Baha Intenso, 2008

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 11:02:58 am »
Disadvantages: you have to protect the processor from rain, can't lay your head back in a chair with the processor on, a little feedback sometimes but that's no biggie.

While I definitely have to take my processor off when it rains heavily (don't want to fry the battery  :o ) I usually leave it attached when it's only "misting" outside.  I just reach up my hand and cup it around my processor, especially if I'm just running into a store or something.  Saves me from detaching and then reattaching it.

I also don't get feedback (aka squealing) when I lay my head back in a chair.  It happens to others I've heard, but has never happened to me.

With my BP100 (aka BP3) I can reach up and touch my processor when it's on my head and I don't get any kind of squealing or feedback.

This might be due to my settings, but I'm not sure.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Nancy T

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 08:58:13 pm »
Jan: No feedback when you touch it!? Wow, that would be very cool. I have an Intenso, and even a slight touch causes feedback.

I too do the "cupping" thing when it's not raining hard and I'm just making a quick dash somewhere, but whenever there's a chance of rain I wear my raincoat so I can put my hood up (which also causes feedback). I am a  native Oregonian, so I feel like a wimp sticking my hand out from under the building overhang and saying, "Is it raining?" :)
Sudden sensorineural hearing loss, left side, 1999 (no acoustic neuroma)
Baha Intenso, 2008

opp2

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 09:06:07 pm »
thank you both. I received a message back this am from the Dr in my area, who coincidentally I turned down to do my surgery. I'm not unsure how to proceed. I will be emailing my otolaryngologist to see what he thinks too.

I have to wear a peak cap at work, furry hat in winter so this will also have an impact at work for me...

lots of things to think about....
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

tenai98

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 07:15:43 am »
I wont be taking my BAHA with me to Mexico for the reason that I wear my cap there all the time and I cant wear the hat if my BAHA is on....There are times when I still turn my head to hear from the 'good side'.  But overall, I dont hear a difference when I'm wearing the unit, but sure miss it when I"m not.  So it is working great. Just that I dont notice it.  Life is good  ;D
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7