Author Topic: Hearing Aid Evaluation  (Read 3885 times)

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
Hearing Aid Evaluation
« on: November 09, 2009, 08:26:49 pm »
I've finally reached the point where I'm tired of constantly saying "What?" or making sure people are on my right (good) side. I retained hearing in my AN ear, but I still have a hearing loss. At my last appt with my surgeon, they said that many people with my hearing loss level get by fine without a hearing aid but if I ever decided to look into it, I would be an excellent candidate.

I go on Thurs for a hearing aid eval. Decided to go back to the University because they have all my records and fell I won't get caught up in a place that's only out to sell me the most expensive thing there is out there. They also have a 30 day trial period.

Does anyone have any advice for me before I go. I do have to say I'm a bit nervous. Don't know why...this is a cake walk considering what I went through last year! LOL... But I woudl like to be as informed as I can before I go in. I know... like NOTHING about hearing aids.

Thanks,
Cathy

PS. Man - it's been a long time since I"ve logged on here!
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Hearing Aid Evaluation
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 10:14:54 pm »
Cathy .....

I retained 20% of my hearing in my AN ear, which of course was not worth very much until I got a hearing aid.  My neurosurgeon said to wait six months after surgery because it could take that long for hearing to settle.  I have a MicroTech Curve7 digital hearing aid.  It took many trips back to the audiologist to experiment with different types of ear pieces (no way to say this delicately, but I have very itchy ear canals  ::)) and many adjustments to the programs.  For several months I thought I could get by with just using it when I wanted to hear something.  This did not work because my brain could not adjust.  When I finally found a comfortable ear piece I began leaving it in whenever I was awake.  It took awhile but now my brain has adjusted to it so my hearing has greatly improved.  I will never have "normal" hearing on that side (and I still have hyperacusis and tinnitus) but my ability to tell directional sound and one on one conversation is so much better than it was immediately post-op.

PM me or ask here if you have other questions.  Let us know what you find out on Thursday.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

amymeri

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 09:37:11 am »
So, I got my regular hearing aid (Oticon Hit) in my SSD ear and have used it a bit.  I haven't really had the opportunity to use it in the situations that bug me (like driving and having people talk on my SSD side) but I used it in a restaurant and it was fine and I used it while talking to my son and I had my hearing side buried in a pillow and I could hear him anyways! 

I will continue to update and see how it goes....

Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

sunfish

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 10:49:32 am »
I got a teeny tiny dot220 by ReSound.  Very, very helpful.  I have mild to moderate hearing loss in all frequencies, and severe hearing loss at high frequencies.  At first, I said "There's no way I can adjust to this."  I think it can take about 3 months for your brain to really adjust to the aid and use the input maximally.

My hearing aid cost about $2200, and Blue Cross paid $1000.  In many states, insurance companies must now pay a $1000 minimum for hearing aids, by law.

I got the rest from my Health Care Savings Account.  Therefore, I paid about $800 after the savings account tax benefit.  I get a 2 year warranty, and got about 15 months worth of free batteries.

I have a very difficult time getting by without it, in some situations, and am very thankful for the technology.  The audiologist explained that high frequency hearing loss has a big impact on your ability to discriminate speech, because you "lose" ending sounds of words like s, t, ch, etc.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 01:44:40 pm »
Cathy

You are correct in saying the hearing aid place will try to probably oversell you a hearing aid.  I wear one on each ear and the only thing I would say is the more they cost the more they can do for you.  Some of the features on the more expensive ones you may not need.  Some advice just ask for the cheapest model and what it does and then go up from there if you decided to do so.  I purchase Unitron "Yuu" and I am very happy with the performace.  Mine came with a 3 year warrenty.  Now as they say "I won't leave home without them".

Also if you get one just remember it does take some time to get use to it.

TJ

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 07:26:21 pm »
My first reaction to my brand new hearing aid (Unitron Moxi), after leaving the doctor's office, was that the plastic bag they gave me was crinkling way too loud in the elevator. It really does take time for your brain to adjust to the new input level, which makes the trial period somewhat less valuable. I wear mine almost all the time, which I think is far better than only putting it on for certain situations. My brain is now completely used to it. It helps a lot with conversations, and noticing some sounds, though I still don't hear everything. I went pretty high end, since it not something you buy very often. Spread out over several years, the monthly cost is not that much if it helps you hear better. Your hearing is worth it.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

sunfish

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 01:25:56 pm »
That's funny, Steve.  I went to the grocery store after I first got my hearing aid, and bought a plastic bag of tooth flossers.  It was kind of like that old fashioned "cellophane."  I kept crinkling the bag, just to hear the sound!  My teenage daughter said I was nuts!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

crivers

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 01:52:48 am »
Cathy,

I have no idea why, but I thought a hearing aid wouldn't help me - well was I wrong - I just got the unitron lattitude 16 2 weeks ago and I couldn't be happier. It was strange at first, hearing things you haven't heard in a while, but my brain adapted in about 2 - 3 days. My hearing was considered useful - from a medical standpoint - but from my point of view I too was tired of having people on my good side and constantly asking "WHAT" - I'm 39 for crying out loud!!!

Anyway, all of that to say "Go For It" and don't be worried a bit. You'll do fine and in a few weeks or months you'll wonder what the fuss was about.

Good luck
Rt side AN - discovered
Jul 09: 6mmx4mmx4mm
Feb 10: 8mmx5mmx5mm

CyberKnife - Stanford - Dr. Chang and Soltys
April 5 - 9th, 2010

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 11:53:26 pm »
I am sure the new awareness of sound is similar to what I felt after getting my BAHA processor.  I told people that I heard the sheets rustling when I made my bed, I heard the keyboard on my computer....all things I was not used to hearing or being aware of hearing.  It's an adjustment, but a very wonderful adjustment!
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego