Author Topic: tumor color  (Read 1463 times)

Susan B

tumor color
« on: December 18, 2010, 02:16:56 pm »
Sorry lost last post. Haven't written for awhile. Had CK in Osterpoint (San Fran) last January. MRI in April showed tumor stopped growing. Postponed my second to do some traveling then had two episodes of vertigo never experiened before. My doc thought inner ear infection but hard to know. Had second MRI in Oakland last Sat. took several emails to find out what "positive change" meant. Hoping for shrinkage but told small change in size insignificant and not expected with CK. So what was "positive change". The "color" of the tumor had changed showing it had responeded to treatment. I don't remember anyone here talking about color change did I miss something. I am HAPPY but still a little confused.
thank,
Susan
I also think I posted this under the wrong catagory so sorry if you are seeing a repeat

Tumbleweed

Re: tumor color
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 06:23:53 pm »
Hi, Susan:

MRIs are, of course, only black and white. The "color" change your doctor noticed is undoubtedly the black mottling that indicates necrosis, or tissue death, in the tumor. This is very positive news!

As for shrinkage not being "expected with CK," this is true but with a major caveat. About 25% of CK patients see gratifying shrinkage in the first five years after receiving CK treatments. You may not be one of the lucky 1 in 4 patients who see significant shrinkage, but then again you might. While not expected, it can happen.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08