Author Topic: Radiation Exposure  (Read 2392 times)

Gus

Radiation Exposure
« on: December 02, 2010, 11:17:10 am »
I have a 7 mm AN and have been told that 12.5 grays (Gy) would be used on my tumor should I go with a Gamma Knife.
Does anyone know how this relates to the units: rems?
I'm trying to compare what I would get with OSHA recommended exposure.

Thanks,

Gus
8x 16 mm AN on left side
Diagnosed September 2010
Wait and Watch until MRI showed 2 mm growth in July 2012
Surgery on Aug. 30, 2012 via middle fossa at MD Anderson; results showed the tumor to be a benign meningioma instead of a AC.  Hearing was saved; mild Tinnitus; Feel Very Blessed

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Radiation Exposure
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 02:11:53 pm »
Gus ~

Measuring 'radiation' can get very complicated because there are various standards of measurement for the many types of radiation extant.  Basically, one rad is equal to 100 grays. However, GK is very localized and cannot be compared to OSHA standards, which are concerned with the unwanted absorption of radiation in the workplace, which far different from a medically controlled radiation treatment specifically designed to destroy the DNA of an organic substance (your AN). 

GammaKnife, CyberKnife and FSR have all been around for some time (GK for over 40 years).  The radiation 'dose' is carefully calculated by a radiation oncologist, sometimes working with a neurosurgeon, as in my case.  They know what they are doing.  Although there is a slight risk with any radiation treatment, it is almost infinitesimal and nothing to be stressed about.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.