Author Topic: Facial numbness  (Read 3315 times)

Helena

Facial numbness
« on: December 27, 2010, 04:09:38 pm »
Hello everybody,
I have an AN of 25x33x37 mm and I will be operated (translab) within a few weeks. I have facial numbness on the right since eight months and I'm wondering if this can go away after surgery. Is there anybody who has this experience?
AN 25x33x35. Translab LUMC, Leiden, Netherlands, 6/20/2011. SSD, no problems, feeling fine.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Facial numbness
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 05:01:23 pm »
Hi, Helena - and welcome to the ANA discussion forums. 

I can't offer you a definitive answer to your very pertinent question because the answer depends on the exact placement of the tumor and how successful the surgeon is at removing it.  However, pre-op, I was experiencing a slight numbness on my AN-affected side (my left) and it virtually disappeared after debulking surgery (Retrosigmoid approach, not Translab) reduced my 4.5 cm AN down to 2.5 cm.  The AN was subsequently and successfully radiated (FSR).  Frankly, AN surgery is complicated and a certain level of risk is inherent, as your doctor has likely explained.  Facial numbness/paralysis is one of those risks so I would definitely consult with the doctor that will perform the Translab procedure and explain your concerns regarding your present facial numbness.  Of course, we wish you a wildly successful (no complications) AN surgery next month and hope that you'll continue to update us on your progress, both before and after the operation.  Thanks.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 07:20:54 pm »
My numbness went away after surgery, but some people have the opposite experience.  AN surgery is like a box of chocolates--you never know what you're going to get.  LOL

Vonda

opp2

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 08:30:53 pm »
My left side facial numbness was gone when I woke up in the ICU. I was very happy. But--there are no guarantees.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Helena

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 02:11:18 pm »
Thanks for your answers! I hope that the numbness will disappear but first of all I hope that the doctor can save the facial nerve. He was quite optimistic about it although he mentioned the risks. He has a lot of experience with AN's and does 50/60 operations a year. That's why I chose him to do the operation.
I see the numbness as a minor problem. I got used to it the last 8 months. That I will become deaf on the right ear: I think I can learn to live with that although it's a pity. These last days that I still can hear with my two ears, I'm listening to my favorite music a lot. I try to imprint it in my brain so that I can remember it later and imagine to hear two-sided instead of one.
AN 25x33x35. Translab LUMC, Leiden, Netherlands, 6/20/2011. SSD, no problems, feeling fine.