Author Topic: hair highlighting difference after radiosurgery  (Read 1820 times)

maryebates

hair highlighting difference after radiosurgery
« on: June 09, 2006, 02:28:17 pm »
Hello All!  I have an unusual problem.  I had my AN removed surgically in 1992.  It grew back and I had sterotactic radiosurgery in 2001.  The last 2 times I had my hair highlighted (weaved) I had some areas where the hair closest to the scalp bleached out and the rest was the darker color it was supposed to be.  It's a long story so I won't bore anyone with the details but I know it isn't my colorist's fault.   It looks like I have horizontal stripes!  Fortunately, they aren't noticeable when my hair is down.  This didn't start happening until about 18 months- 2 yrs. ago so somewhere between 3-4 years after my radiosurgery.  I was with a different stylist and left because I thought it was his fault.  I went back to the stylist I had been going to for many years and it's happening with her.  I usually have my hair weaved every 4-5 months.  Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?   

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: hair highlighting difference after radiosurgery
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 09:37:04 am »
Hi Mary,

Talking up my alley! Been a hairdresser for over 25 yrs, 3rd generation... let's see if I can help.

What it sounds like the colorist did is a process called "highlights/lowlights". Have had it done on me and for me, wasn't my thing.  I firmly believe it's in the colorist and technique and nothing more.

1.  Ask around  to those with highlights that look good (even strangers) and ask where they had their hair done (nothing like word of mouth!)
2. Ask for a free color consult
3.  Explain your situation and see how empathetic the colorist is to your situation
4. Explain the desired highlights you have in mind, then have colorist make their recommendations
5. Does the colorist then meld the 2 answers to #4 above?

The colorist has to remember that you see them for a couple of hours... you are the one that has to live with it.

FYI, as you may know... "off the scalp" coloring has no affect on what goes on beyond the dermis layer of the skin. There are reports of "one-process/on scalp" color that does affect since it's penetrates, entering blood stream (since blood vessels sit close to top of scalp).

I have never heard of the "horizontal stripes" that you mention.  I sincerely doubt the radio-surgery has anything to do with this result you have been experiencing.

Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

maryebates

Re: hair highlighting difference after radiosurgery
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 06:53:48 pm »
Thank you, Phyllis for the info!  I will talk to my stylist.  She did my hair prior to my radiosurgery and I never had a problem.  Then again, I am getting older and my hair darker.  I appreciate your reply.  Mary