Author Topic: Sharing the BAHA Experiencd  (Read 4232 times)

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
Sharing the BAHA Experiencd
« on: November 28, 2010, 11:30:53 pm »
Hi all,
I have a cousin who is a doctor in Illinois.  He has been in San Diego visiting this past couple of weeks.  He had an AN in 1999 and has been left with SSD.  He tried a hearing aid at one time, and was less than impressed, but of course, it did nothing to filter out the background noise.  I had been telling him about my Baha, but he never seemed too enthusiastic.  I stopped over there today with my BAHA apparatus that allows you to hold the processor against someone else's head so that they can hear what you are hearing.  He was amazed.  His wife was sitting so she could see his face and said that his whole face lit up when he realized he could hear what I was whispering on his deaf side!  He is quite impressed and has decided to pursue his options for a BAHA.  It's so nice to know that perhaps I have helped another person to achieve the improved hearing that I have gained!
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

sunfish

Re: Sharing the BAHA Experiencd
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 09:03:17 am »
Found out last week I have increased hearing loss.  Not nearly a BAHA candidate - right now, I just need to have them fine tune and amp up my hearing aid.  But these positive BAHA stories give me lots of hope, since my docs aren't real hopeful about my hearing in the long run.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 11:16:38 am »
I just got home from the follow-up appointment with my doc. I had the abutment screwed in my sull on Nov 18th. Everything is healing nicely. I took my finger nail and scratched the abutment and could hear it very clearly in my good ear. Now I can't wait for Febrary to get here so I can get switched on.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 10:57:01 pm »
Dale -

glad your cousin was impressed with the BAHA.

I've "recruited" a lot of people.  I'm as amazed with my BAHA today - almost 3 years after my implant - as I was the day I tried the demo.

Please let us know whether or not your cousin pursues a BAHA.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 12:43:58 am »
I will let you know and I have already forwarded him the information you sent me about Dr. Battista.  I can't believe some doctor had thought a regular hearing aid would work for someone with SSD.  I was told in 1999 that it would never work because it would not block out the background noise.  I will keep after him because he was truly impressed by what he heard with my BAHA on the little plastic post.  His wife was even more amazed and I think she will keep after him as well.
~Dale
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles

kawman600

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 01:44:09 pm »
Does the BAHA help you distinguish where the sound is coming from,I have more trouble with that and get very frustrated-any suggestions?

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 05:40:56 pm »
It depends who you ask.  For most people, probably not.  Jan has had improvement with sound directionality.  I have had a small amount of improvement.  For me it was most important to hear people talking on my deaf side. But sound directionality is very important, and I am happy with the small amount of improvement.
~Dale
Tarzana, CA

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 06:57:10 am »
Directionality can be gained over time.  Some find they have it, some find they don't.  I'm not sure why.

As Dale said, I have some directionality.  It's not perfect, but I can tell which side of my body sound is coming from when wearing my BAHA.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways