Author Topic: Skull Base Institute / Dr Shahinian / los angeles, california  (Read 10902 times)

eronrabun

ok guys... if you all want a day-by-day account here it is.  While my husband and I were going through this major decision & surgery, I kept a journal.  Since we live in GA and our family is spread across the southeast, we decided to update this website daily to keep eveyone updated.  I have just made the decision (and been emotionally able) to share this with all of you.  Feel free to read our journals and follow us as we walk through our decisions and surgery.

www.thestatus.com
click on "visit patient page"
last name: rabun
password: 1horse

I hope this helps to shed some light and help you through this very difficult time.  God Bless.

Eron & Drew
-3cm acoustic neuroma "size of an egg"
-pressing on the brain stem
-50/50 chance of severe side effect with "traditional surgery"
-chose "endoscopic procedure" by Dr Shahinian in Los Angeles, CA instead of traditional one
-wouldn't change ANYTHING!
-results are amazing!!!

eugd

Re: Skull Base Institute / Dr Shahinian / los angeles, california
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 05:27:12 pm »
considering the SBI, how is your balence after the procedure, how long did it take for you get back? and do you still have problems with balence or vertigo?
Eugene- Age 32
2.15 cm mass on the right nerve removed via the retro on 12/20/06. D.C. from the House Ear Institute on 12/23/06. Dr. Freidman, & Dr. Shwartz. were the doctors. No post opt. vertigo, hearing loss  or facial nerves damage.  No major post opt headaches.

eronrabun

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 08:06:43 am »
I apologize for the late response.  We recently moved and are in the process of building a house, so I have not been online very much.  Regarding balance:  Drew's balance is 100% normal.  He shows no signs of ANY balance issues.    It probably took 3 months after surgery to get back to 95% normal.  Initially after the surgery, balance was pretty bad.  He couldn't walk down the hall without feeling like he was leaning/falling.
-chose "endoscopic procedure" by Dr Shahinian in Los Angeles, CA instead of traditional one
-results are amazing!!!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 07:18:46 am »
Eron & Drew:    Nothing like beating those odds!!!  Good to hear a fellow ANer is doing well.   
Keep the faith, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

eronrabun

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 11:40:52 am »
An update on the balance issues...

Drew went for his 1 year followup MRI and physical this past Monday.  The MRI came back PERFECT!  Absolutely NO tumor regrowth.  -I am going to try to get a digital copy and post it here. 

When the doctor did balance tests: 1.with eyes open & 2. with eyes closed, Drew did fare slightly worse with eyes closed.  To be honest, he would not pass a roadside sobriety test with his eyes closed - Walk a striaght line with eyes closed & stand on one foot with eyes closed.  He had to keep putting his hands out or foot down.  With eyes open - no problem.  The doctor said his balance COULD be corrected with physical therapy if we chose, or just continuing to be active (sports/exercise) that his brain would "re-learn" balance on it's own.  It could take up to two years to return to "Normal."  Given the type of surgery, we continue to be thrilled with the results and outcome of SBI and the endoscopic procedure.
Before the balance tests, Drew predicted that "eyes opened" and "eyes closed" test results would be the same and said his balance was back to normal.... Just goes to show that he doesn't feel "loopy" or "off."
-results are amazing!!!

chopper

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 12:18:00 pm »
Very good news!

Thank you both for your time, insight and answering of my questions earlier this year.  The records you kept and shared with the world helped me to make my decision final, as well as ease my mind for the procedure and recovery time ahead.
3+cm AN, hit the chopping block 5 Sep 06 at the Skull Base Institute

Was 4.5cm at it's largest point, completely removed.  All motor functions normal.  Only complaint is SSD on the left side, which was expected anyway.