Author Topic: Baha insurance  (Read 3745 times)

ombrerose4

Baha insurance
« on: November 19, 2010, 07:12:46 pm »
My Baha 1 yr. insurance is going to expire soon and I was wondering what some of the other options are for insuring it. I remember someone, Lori, I think mentioning a company called Esco and I was wondering if anyone has used them or has any other suggestions?
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
Re: Baha insurance
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 09:32:13 pm »
I insured mine on my home owner's insurance as personal property.  The audiologist told me it cost $4100 to replace,  so I added that amount to cover me.  The total cost per year is something like only $12 more on my policy.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 10:34:45 pm »
Lori is the first one I know of who mentioned insuring your BAHA with a rider on your homeowner's insurance policy, but I don't know if she mentioned a specific company or not.

I've been meaning to look into insuring my Divino, but still haven't  ::) and my BP100 is still under warranty from Cochlear since I only got it in April.

At some point I'll have to look into a rider.

Dale -

your processor should still be under warranty from Cochlear.  You might be paying your insurance company for coverage you don't need just yet.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 03:09:49 am »
Jan is right, You don't need to insure your Baha for the first two years after receiving it on your "Gotcha" day.  It is covered under warranty and one time replacement if you ever lose it during the first two years from Cochlear.  My first Baha insurance/warranty is gonna expire in  March 2011 and I'm gonna buy the insurance from Cochlear so it will cover for repairs if needed. ;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

ombrerose4

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 10:16:16 am »
Are you certain that the Baha is covered for two years? I haven't read that information anywhere, can you tell me where I could find out for sure? Thanks :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Kencutus

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 10:28:07 am »
I found this here; http://products.cochlearamericas.com/support/baha/service-agreements

"What is covered under a Service Agreement?

* Repair or replacement due to mechanical failure with one additional preventative maintenance service
    * New loss/theft/accidental damage coverage
    * Platinum level offers 24 months of service coverage plus one new processor with immediate two-year standard warranty"

This last part also applies to the first Baha received after surgery.  The information should be in your Baha kit after you get it on your "Gotcha" day or you can ask your audiologist.  The warranty usually starts the day you get plugged in, not the surgery date.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 10:29:38 am by Kencutus »

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 08:48:45 am »
Thanks for the link Ken. I was wondering what type of plans they offer.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

ombrerose4

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 09:36:33 am »
Thanks for the info :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 10:15:50 pm »
I just checked out the Cochlear service agreements.  They are quite costly.  The most expensive one is more money than the cost to replace the processor.  By insuring the BAHA on my homeowner's insurance, I am covered for loss or theft.  It does not cover maintenance, but I can't believe that would be more than the cost of the processor, and a one time repair doesn't add up to the expense of the coverage.  I think my total yearly addition to my homeowner's is about $16.00 to cover the $4100 processor.  Worth weighing all the numbers.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Kencutus

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 12:00:59 am »
You do not need to cover your Baha on your homeowner's insurance for the first two years. You are wasting your money there.  It is already covered by Cochlear for loss, theft, damage or in need of repairs.   As for maintenance or repair for your Baha after the warranty expires at the end of two years, It will cost you $495  if you send it in for repair regardless how big or small the problem is. That's what I was told by my audiologist. It is better if you take on the service agreement with them rather with your insurance company because they probably will not cover repair costs.

ombrerose4

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 01:38:43 pm »
I called Cochlear to confirm and yes the warranty is for 2 years and covers one time theft or loss, plus wear and tear. So now I don't have to worry for another year! Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving to all :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010