Author Topic: too much scans?  (Read 3054 times)

petgroomer

• Love to live... Live to love...
    • Vagal Schwannoma
too much scans?
« on: November 25, 2010, 05:44:20 am »
1 1/2 weeks ago I had an MRI without and with contrast.
Now 2 days ago I had Ct scans without and with contrast at 1 pm, then they had me stay and 1 1/2 hours later they did another MRI without and with contrast.
Last night I had the the worst case of flu/hangover symptoms ever ALL night and still now.  ewww  I have a full days workload ahead of me :( 
Could this be due to the increased CT/MRI's with contrast?
Or maybe just the actual flu coming on... or stress... or whatever. :)
Anyone else get this with multi scanning and contrast's?
JULY 2009 found 5.6 cm X 4 cm vagal schwan on the 10th cranial nerve and by MAY 2010 it grew to 7.1 cm X 4 cm X 4.1 cm  Nov 2010 it has grown another 10%... time for C.K.! :)
I love life but I'm finding it harder to do .. one millimetre at a time.
www.vagalschwannoma.com 
www.allinonepetcare.co

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: too much scans?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 11:00:49 am »
Rhonda ~

I can't answer your question with any degree of certainty but I know that MRI scans do not emit radiation.  However, CT scans do - quite a bit, as I understand it.  Whether the gadolinium you received or, perhaps, the CT scan are a cause of your feeling unwell is a question that will likely remain unknowable.  I can state that I've had many MRI scans, all with the gadolinium contrast agent and a few CT scans, too, and never felt ill afterward.  Still, that is just one person's experience and we know that as individuals, our bodies will react somewhat differently to radiation and even gadolinium.  Because the answer is going to be elusive, at best, I would guess that flu or a cold along with the stress that lowers our immune systems effectiveness is most likely the culprit.  Whatever the actual cause of your symptoms, I hope you feel better, soon.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sunfish

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 02:16:42 pm »
I'm allergic to CT contrast "dye," as are quite a few people.  At best, it makes me feel kind of sickish for several days.  At worst, I get a bright red sandpaper rash all over my body, and still feel terrible.  The docs have tried pre-treating me with benadryl and steroids, with no luck.  I stay away from CT contrast dye now.  No problems with gadolinium though, which is a whole 'nother compound.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Vivian B.

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 02:06:23 pm »
Hi Rhonda,

Although I have been having MRIs within 6 months of each other, I do feel sick for about one week after. Could be all the lying down flat since we already have a dizziness issue or also the contrast.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.