Author Topic: Out of breath when exercising  (Read 1743 times)

silverdolphin

Out of breath when exercising
« on: June 06, 2006, 05:38:44 pm »
I had surgery July 05 to remove a 3.5cm acoustic neuroma.  Then I had a 2nd surgery Oct 05 to stop a CSF leak.  My balance is okay but gets worse when I am tired.  Also feel sort of dizzy when I am tired. My problem is that I get very out of breath when I do aerobic exercise.  I can walk with no problem but if I move faster I get out of breath in about a minute .  This was made very clear to me recently.  I have my dog in an agility class and have to run (not fast) along with him as he goes over and through various apparatus and jumps so I can poiint out where he should go next.  Last week for the first time we ran a whole course of about 18 jumps, etc.  I was not sure I would be able to watch the dog - i.e. look to the side to see him instead of looking where I was going but so far that's okay. I had to stop about 4 obstacles from the end though because I was dying for air.  Also my legs felt like lead.  It was several minutes before I could breathe normally.  I decided I need to do more aerobic exercise, like jogging, to improve.  BUT then I started wondering what  experience other acoustic neuroma patients have had with exercise this far out from surgery.  My problem can't be related to the surgery can it?  It wouldn't affect me this long would it?  Surely by now I am completely recovered.  If anyone has had a similar problem I would really like to hear about it. Thanks.
Left AN 3.5cm removed 7/11/05
Drs. Donald Wright & David Schessel, Virginia Hospital Center
deaf on the left
Surgery 10/29/05 to stop CSF leak

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
Re: Out of breath when exercising
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 01:32:39 pm »
Silverdolphin,

You kinda sortof posted this in the wrong catagory.................. but that's okay.
I need to ask you: how old are you? and..... Were you in good shape before your surgery? I had a 5cm x 5cm growth with hydpcephalus.
My surgeries were in August and September of last year.  I hit the ground running because I'd spent the better part of my life exercising.
  The equilibrium problems that you're feeling will probably never go away because of the nature of the surgery you had. I still have issues with some double vision - although not much anymore - and lightheadedness even though I'm essentially in good shape. Let me know!
Have to take off right now: I'm going jogging and it's still raining out there!!

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

tony

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 01:02:15 am »
I saw this one and it actually seems to ask a further question
Yes - AN recoverers DO experiance fatigue sensations if the balance nerve was damaged/removed in any way due medical intervention - But I wouldnt describe the sensation
as breathless - very tired maybe.
So there are a couple of possibilities
One - it could be the whole thing is due to lack of exercise during the surgery/recovery process
the whole body can become very inactive during this time - and will react badley if pushed too
hard on the way out.
Solution - put together an exercise plan where balance is not really a factor - so you can build up
without the balance factor holding you back. Also build slowly and gradually
If you get tired your balance will fall away quite quickley - and so might you
So you need to think out the exercises from a safety/falling angle as well.
IE this is no-time to go rock climbing
Note blood/sugar/fluid levels seem more significant for post-op AN folk.
Two - if exercise wont resolve it - then further check-ups would seem wise
it does not sound AN related - the "breathlessness" is unusual
Good luck
and let us know how you get along
Best regards
Tony

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 11:47:25 am »
Hey silver-
Suggest you delete this post (you're the only one who can, just go to your original post and look for the delete button) and re-enter it, using copy and paste, into the post-treatment area, where you will find more folks lurking, and therefore, get  more responses.
We're here to help. At 3 years out, sometimes I can't even get up the driveway! It gets better if you stay active, which is tiring!  It is a vicious cycle that we have to try to break if we want a better recover!
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW