Author Topic: New Seattle Cyberknife  (Read 3401 times)

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
New Seattle Cyberknife
« on: June 01, 2006, 08:12:46 pm »
Just thought I'd let you all know, this was big on our NBC news affiliate tonight.  Seattle has Cyberknife!

Seattle's new CyberKnife cuts straight to the tumor
Pricey treatment can minimize the harm to healthy tissue

By BRAD WONG
P-I REPORTER

Kirkland resident LaDon Granstaff says he feels no pain when the Seattle CyberKnife Center's hulking robotic arm slowly moves around him, beaming high doses of radiation through his prostate.

"They play music. I've been listening to classical," said Granstaff, 62, before reclining on the treatment table.

Outside the treatment room -- known as the "vault" because of its concrete-reinforced walls -- radiation oncologist Robert Meier and technicians watch monitors to ensure the robotic arm only treats the right areas.

About 20 patients have been treated since the CyberKnife office opened in February at Swedish Medical Center in the Central District. And this $4 million robotic arm in the James Tower is the first of its kind in the Pacific Northwest.

Doctors say the 8-foot-tall, maneuverable arm -- and its hundreds of positions -- can provide large and precise doses of radiation to tumors.

By delivering radiation from various angles, as opposed to one blast, it can minimize harming healthy tissue around a tumor.

"It ushers in a new era in battling cancer," Meier said.

A CyberKnife robotic arm also can reduce the number of radiation treatments from as many as 40 over eight weeks to about five or fewer over one week.

Meier said it also provides accuracy within about a millimeter and can move with a patient's breathing -- which also protects healthy tissue in the body.

The CyberKnife wields the potential to help cancer patients in Washington, Alaska and even Canada, said Patric Wiesmann, co-founder of the Blackrock Management Group, a health care development company.

Seattle-based Blackrock, Swedish and the Sabey Corp. (the Seattle P-I's landlord) were instrumental in bringing the unit to the area. The next-closest CyberKnife units are at Stanford University and the University of California-San Francisco.

The Seattle CyberKnife Center cost about $5 million to $7 million, Wiesmann said.

"Our focus here was, 'We're going to bring something for the patient, and we're confident that this will create good,' " he said.

About two years ago, Wiesmann heard about the CyberKnife from area doctors. They said Seattle needed one, given its capabilities.

Developed at Stanford and manufactured by Accuray Inc. of Sunnyvale, Calif., the robotic arm can treat tumors in the brain and in other parts of the body.

Although there is similar and accurate radiation technology on the market, it does not offer the same flexibility, doctors say. For example, one technology called the Gamma Knife is meant for tumors in the brain.

Meier said the CyberKnife -- which in Seattle has a team of radiation oncologists and neurosurgeons -- can treat the lung, liver, spine and cancers in parts of the body that conventional radiation cannot reach.

"This type of technology enables the replacement of big, complex and open operations (and) rivals it with effectiveness," said John Adler, CyberKnife inventor and a Stanford professor of neurosurgery and radiation oncology.

Adler and other doctors said there are few, if any, side effects.

But doctors are aware that a patient who was treated in the stomach might suffer from nausea. Prostate cancer patients might have to urinate more.

Although the technology is eye-catching, treatments can be expensive, ranging from about $11,000 up to $30,000. Meier said the technology is so new in the Northwest that regional insurance companies are still deciding what types of tumors to cover.

David Larson, a UC-San Francisco doctor and a professor of radiation oncology, points out that Medicare, the federal health care program for the elderly, covers only five CyberKnife treatments for a given tumor.

"It's a technical tour de force. Time will tell if that will translate into improved cure rates," said Larson, who has worked with a CyberKnife.

Meier said Medicare covers treatment for tumors in the spine, brain, lung and liver.

Jason Rockhill, a University of Washington assistant professor of radiation oncology, agreed that the CyberKnife has advantages, such as being non-invasive.

But he said he feels more comfortable using the Gamma Knife for brain tumors because he is more familiar with that technology.

"A lot of it has to do with your confidence in each system," he said.

Attracting more patients remains a goal because it will help doctors gain more experience with a CyberKnife, Adler said. More experience, he said, contributes to greater competency and, hopefully, more patients and money.

Adler estimates 150 to 200 patients per year are needed at a CyberKnife center for doctors to be the most efficient and comfortable with the robotic arm.

Wiesmann said he is always keeping an eye out for new technology that might displace what a CyberKnife can accomplish.

For cancer patient Granstaff, the Seattle location and the CyberKnife technology were both attractive.

He had considered going to California, Oklahoma or Florida for the same treatment. "I said, 'Why travel like that?' " he said.

"It's important to have early detection. This is what technology was designed for," he added. "If you wait too long, I don't think the treatment would be as effective."

ON THE WEB
For more information, see www.seattlecyberknife.com and www.accuray.com.

3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: New Seattle Cyberknife
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 03:09:19 pm »
That story was on our station down here in Portland/Vancouver and SW Washington Medical Center will be getting their own Cyberknife this year.  So, I saw that story and one of the other stories they covered was the opening of the Portland Rose Festival, with the theme of Pirates on the Waterfront or something like that and there was the Lady Washington and also the Hawaiian Chieftan and they were having a little battle going on, exchanging shots off the bow, putting on a show for the folks on the waterfront in downtown Portland. I thought...wow, talk about coincidental!

I suppose my doctor, Dr. Modha, can't wait to get his hands on the new Cyberknife when it shows up here in Vancouver.  Boys with big toys...ah, I mean tools!
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Raydean

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 11:57:08 pm »
I thought I'd share another article on the new cyberknife in Seattle.  This is from Komo TV and lists the co director as Dr Sandra Vermeulen.   Most anyone in our area who has looked into radiation as a option has  been referred to Dr Vermeulen.  She's an amazing doctor.  On the board of IRSA.
I'm glad to see her in the position of co director.
Raydean

New Technology Aims To Better Treat Cancer

June 1, 2006

By April Zepeda

Video : KOMO 4 NEWS
Swedish Medical Center is now home to the new CyberKnife -- a $4 million robotic arm that can pinpoint radiation to a cancerous tumor, thus increasing odds of success in treatment.

New Technology Aims To Better Treat Cancer

Tools
 Email This Story
 Printer-friendly Version

SEATTLE - When Gene Montgomery was diagnosed with prostate cancer, he knew he didn't want to go through the pain and recovery of surgery.

Thanks to Seattle's newest technology, he didn't have to.

"It was so easy going, you wondered if the machine was doing any good or not. It was that easy," laughed Montgomery.

Swedish Medical Center is now using what's called a CyberKnife. The $4 million robotic arm was the first of its kind in the Pacific Northwest.

It sends out precise doses of radiation to tumors. Unlike conventional treatment - which sends radiation in one blast to a larger area - the cyber knife delivers it from different angles within a millimeter of the tumor. That reduces damage to surrounding tissue.

"This is the first of its kind, the first machine that's been able to track motion," said Dr. Sandra Vermeulen, Co-Director of the Seattle CyberKnife Center.

The CyberKnife moves when the patient moves, so a vice to keep a patient perfectly still isn't needed. And since the radiation tracks the tumor, not healthy tissue, the dose can be higher.

"Thus increasing our chance for a cure, while minimizing collateral side effects," said Montgomery's Radiation Oncologist, Dr. Robert Meier.

The CyberKnife, developed at Stanford and manufactured by Accuray Inc., treats tumors in the brain as well as other parts of the body including the lungs, liver and the prostate, which conventional radiation can't reach.

That means in many cases, it can replace surgery.

"I thought it was exciting being part of something so new. I really did," said Montgomery.

Next month Montgomery will find out if the prostate cancer is gone. His doctor says the outlook is good -- a 90 percent chance that with this new technology, he will be cured.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 12:35:46 pm »
Thanks Gennysmom for sharing this! Great to know that CK is expanding in cities around the nation... and really looking forward to it going international (for our Oz and UK friends, since they only have GK right now).

Phyl :)
xoxo
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 05:26:57 pm »
Bring it on down under!
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz