Author Topic: I was just approved for a BAHA  (Read 12544 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: I was just approved for a BAHA
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 01:56:39 pm »
I just got off the phone with Dr. Harvey's office. My surgery is scheduled for next Wednesday, November 17th.  ;D

What is the typical time frame from surgery to being fitted with the BAHA?

Not a BAHA wearer but I believe the average is three months.  To the best of my knowledge, your doctor will make that decision.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 02:33:46 pm »
Jan

I just received the BAHA recovery kit.

Thank you very much.

Keith
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 11:15:41 am by keithk »
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 08:15:44 am »
Keith -  you are welcome  ;D

To answer your question about how soon you'll be able to wear your processor that all depends on two things - your doctor and the implant "equipment" you choose.

Most docs make you wait 90 days for the titanium rod to calcify into your skull so it's strong enough to hold the processor without "compromising" the position of the rod.  My doc gave me a long explanation about "torque" and why it needed to be avoided; thus the waiting period.

Cochlear just came out with new equipment (mostly the titanium rod) in September that is based on dental implants and it's supposed to calcify quicker than the old equipment.  They are saying that patients only need to wait 30 to 45 days before calcification occurs.  However, some doctors aren't convinced that this is a good idea - since it's a new "theory" - and they are sticking with the 90 days.

To my knowledge, Oticion equipment still requires a 90 day waiting period.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this.

These days implant "equipment" doesn't allow for interchangeable processors.  In other words, you can no longer wear an Oticon processor (Ponto Pro or Ponto) with Cochlear equipment and vice verse.  So it's important to choose your processor wisely.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways