Author Topic: ski helmets (& BAHA)?  (Read 2578 times)

CNY

ski helmets (& BAHA)?
« on: November 11, 2010, 12:48:41 pm »
Does anyone have any experience wearing a ski helmet after the BAHA procedure?  Does the abutment interfere with the helmet?  Ski helmets tend to fit more closely than bicycle helmets & also cover the ears for warmth.

Thanks, Greg.
Translab @House 5/14/09 (2 cm)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: ski helmets (& BAHA)?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 08:10:03 am »
Greg -

it's impossible to wear a ski or a bicycle helmet with a BAHA processor attached to your head - they simply won't fit correctly.  This is a problem Cochlear is aware of and they are actually researching ways to create helmets for BAHA wearers.  But I don't know their timeframe for making one available to the public.

The abutment itself doesn't interfere with a helmet because it's very close to the skull - doesn't stick up enough to cause a problem.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 09:43:46 am »
How far does it stick out.  It looks like it may protrude a good 1/4' or so.
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

CNY

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 12:02:29 pm »
Thanks, Jan.  I might just bring along my current ski helmet when I meet with the doctor next month about the possibility of using the BAHA.  I downhill ski frequently in the winter and think it is prudent to wear a helmet, even more so after surgery.  It would be great to have enhanced hearing when out on the snow.  I hope someone will design helmets for this purpose...

I currently use an FM microphone system paired with a phonak isense receiver in my good ear.  This system doesn't work well/at all for active outdoor sports like biking/skiing.  The FM system definitely helps out at work because I can move the microphone in the direction of the speaker.

--Greg.
Translab @House 5/14/09 (2 cm)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 10:47:36 pm »
Patti, the abutment is amazingly close to the skull once the BAHA site heals.  I'd say it's less than a 1/4" and more like 1/8" or even 1/16"  One side of my abutment sticks up a little further than the other side - my doc did this intentionally - but it's still very close to my skull.

Greg, it can't hurt to bring your ski helmet in to see what your doc thinks.  I've heard of patients asking their doctor to position their abutment so that their processor won't interfere with them wearing their favorite baseball hat.  In fact, I know lots of people who work for Cochlear who highly recommend this.  A ski helmet is obviously a lot different than a baseball hat, but it never hurts to ask.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways