Author Topic: Back from my first follow up  (Read 5014 times)

opp2

Back from my first follow up
« on: October 14, 2010, 08:33:26 pm »
I just got home to Ontario from BC (well a couple of hours ago). I met with Dr. Akagami, and received the news I was expecting. There is no sign of the tumor. Some minor scar tissue near the IAC, and some fluid filling the area where I thought was still swollen. All in all, really good news. I couldn't be happier. Got the go ahead to return to work part time and ease back into the full time routine.

The weather was great, met with some good friends, old and new, ate at my new favourite breakfast diner (Joe's Grill on Davie) and saw three movies in 2 days!!... Missed our Adrienne, but spoke to her last night...She's taking care of her little girl who needed her Mom yesterday.

Did I say I couldn't be happpier???
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

cobbler

Re: Back from my first follow up
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 09:38:24 pm »
Hey Opp!
Glad your post-op appointment went well. when was your surgery?? Can you tell I am still trying to get a handle on how things will go post-op - LOL!

Thanks,
Misty ;)
Misty Cobb

opp2

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 08:52:04 am »
No worries Misty. I know exactly how you feel. My surgery was on July 6th.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

opp2

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 06:54:43 pm »
hahah..I'm not pregnant Jim. Thanks though...not sure which Nikki you mean but it's not moi! (Gosh I hope you don't have the gift of foresight. I thought I was finished having babies..)

Thank you for the good wishes on the check up,  ;D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 06:58:36 pm by opp2 »

Keeping Up

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 08:41:45 pm »
Awesome update Nikki

Glad all is so well - going back to work will be a relief (I think!)

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

tenai98

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 06:50:24 am »
hehehe, I had to reread the thread to see where it says 'PREGNANT'...LOL...Glad to hear all is well...
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

opp2

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 12:40:43 pm »
Awesome update Nikki

Glad all is so well - going back to work will be a relief (I think!)

Ann

Thanks Ann, I am finally a little excited to go back so for sure it is. Hope your Man is better and the kiddies are good, and that you are still holding steady.

Nikki

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 02:04:59 pm »
Nikki ~

As a moderator who, like all the ANA moderators, takes his job seriously, I have a lot of posts to read every day and I apologize for reading yours a bit too quickly.  I saw the phrase 'I received the news I was expecting' and, distracted, I mistakenly assumed you wrote that you were told you were pregnant.  My error, although you seemed to take my mistaken comment (now removed to save me further embarrassment) with good humor, and I'm grateful for that.  I'll attempt to slow down my reading a bit to avoid making a silly mistake like that again.  Thanks again for your understanding. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

opp2

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 06:50:13 am »
No need to worry Jim, I enjoyed the banter.

moe

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 09:03:00 am »
Nikki,
Congratulations on a successful surgery and recovery. And I'm glad you're not pregnant!
Take it easy, remember baby steps still are considered OK with getting back into the work scene :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

mk

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 09:53:20 am »
Congratulations for the great news Nikki, I am so glad that things have turned out so well.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Vivian B.

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 05:08:11 pm »
Hey Nikki,

I am so glad it's over and you are O.K. I have been wondering how you were. I have been wrapped up in my own post GK stuff.

Hope you continue to be well and your recovery continues.

By the way, I still haven't made it to one of the Toronto's support meeting, I think they are monthly. Maybe next month.

Vivian 
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

opp2

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 05:16:12 pm »
They are every other month and the next one is in November. The 3rd tuesday I believe. Let me know if you think you can make it. I heading back to work tomorrow so I don't know if my new schedule willl permit the visit to the group. Course I don't know what my new schedule is either  ;D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 05:18:02 pm by opp2 »

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 05:50:23 pm »
Great news Nikki  ;D  I don't know about the going back to work falls in the great news category, but I wish you a good, uneventful and no stress day. 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

opp2

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 08:10:53 pm »
Thanks Everyone, it should be fine. I'm only going for an 8 hour day. We work 12's but I won't have any of my use of force (baton, cuffs, handgun) for a few days so I'll be on the desk sorting emails from the past 3 months. (come to think of it, it could be a rough day :o)