Author Topic: "Implant" batteries  (Read 11931 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
"Implant" batteries
« on: October 11, 2010, 12:05:02 pm »
Question for those BAHA wearers who have a BP100 or BP3.

Do you use batteries that specifically say they are for "implants"?

My BP100 - despite being repaired by Cochlear - continues to beep to indicate a low battery even when the battery is not low.  I checked in with my customer svc rep @ Cochlear this morning and she tells me that the issue may be that I'm not using "implant" batteries.

I typically purchase size 13 (orange) Duracell batteries at Walmart and have never had a problem up until now.

Anyone else finding that "regular" hearing aid batteries are causing their BP100 to beep when the battery isn't low?

I sent an email to my audiologist and am waiting to see what she has to say.

Thanks,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
Re: "Implant" batteries
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 01:28:31 pm »
My audiologist told me I could stock up on #13 batteries at Costco and did not say anything about needing specific implant batteries.  I will have my BP3 back this week and we will see.  I was not getting a low battery beep at all and I used the same battery for a week.
~dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

lori67

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 01:34:43 pm »
Jan,

I don't have the BP100, but I've never heard of "Implant" batteries.  I know people with Cochlear Implants that use regular hearing aid batteries (just more of them!).  I'm not sure how a battery would know if it was inside an implant or not - aside from the fact that the processor isn't implanted anyway.

I'd be interested to hear how this turns out, since the batteries Cochlear provides with the initial shipment of the processor are just regular hearing aid batteries.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 02:08:11 pm »
I use Duracell and have no problems. Are you testing them on the battery tester that Cochlear sent to you?

tenai98

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 03:39:03 pm »
I get my improved BAHA next week....now called BP3...why is that...at this point I've no idea what Cochlear did to it..just know that it went in for upgrades....include the new white battery covering....i use the no. 13 and have stocked up on them...my audiologist said the power ups might be better and maybe last a little longer...no idea...never tested that theory....but i'll be keeping on eye on this topic.
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 07:49:21 pm »
Battery tester???  Don't believe I have one of those - but then again I haven't looked in my "big" white box from Cochlear in months; maybe there's one in there.

Had additional contact with my Cochlear rep today and this is what she said:

"As the technology improves, the power requirement becomes more pronounced.  Some people are able to use the BP100 with hearing aid batteries, but the BP3 (which is what your BP100 was upgraded to) has improved technology over the BP100. The increased power requirement is not due to the rubber insert -- that is a mechanical feature and serves a very rudimentary purpose."

She also offered to send me some complimentary batteries (as in free from Cochlear) to see if that solves the issue.  They are already on their way to me Fed Ex.  If they don't stop the low battery beep from going off when the battery isn't low, I'll have to send my BP100 back for repairs.

Thanks for all the responses; I'll keep you posted.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 07:53:32 pm »
So if they keep upgrading, eventually we'll need to hook ourselves up to the car battery?    :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 08:00:08 pm »
Good point! 

You just never know  :D

Rockhammer

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 12:08:03 am »
I had this same problem with my BP100 back in March while still using the batteries included with the processor. It would erratically give me the low battery signal with only 8 hrs on a new battery, but the battery would not quit for about a week (it was a long time before I had the patience to let the battery quit). It would beep every hour or so for a bit then stop for several hours and start again. It was sent in for repair and came back fixed and I have not had that problem since (although I have had the case crack and currently have static like a Geiger counter in 2 programs). The cryptic repair note from Cochlear was something like “low EL contact”. So if the processor keeps working for the usual length of time and just signals low battery it probably needs to go in for repair.

As for batteries I stick with the Powerone size 13 recommended by Cochlear, although I get them from a less expensive source (Amazon). Aside from the recommendation I found out they are rated at 1.45V while all other HA batteries I have seen are 1.4V.

I hope this helps; I've been a lurker here for a while (SSD for 30 yrs from Meningitis at age 4).

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 08:41:27 pm »
I just ordered some from Amazon....best price I could find.  i also got the Power One, which is the one sent out by Cochlear.  However, on Amazon, it does show them as rated 1.4v.  I didn't see the 1.45 anywhere.  But for $15 and some change, I got 60 batteries.  At least a year's worth, a little more, actually. 
~Dale
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 08:53:22 pm »
Well, ironically since I finally contacted Cochlear about this problem (which has been going on for a couple of weeks now) today I had no issues with my good old reliable Duracell battery.

Will still try the batteries Cochlear sends me - should arrive tomorrow - just to see if the false beeping is gone for good.

Thanks for the tip on Amazon, Dale and Rockhammer.  I order books from there all the time, so I may just start adding batteries to my future purchases.

Jan

PS - welcome to the Forum, Rockhammer  ;D

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 09:59:01 am »
Jan, Cochlear just sent me a battery tester, some more wipes, brushes...2 for the BAHA and 1 for my implant...such a deal!

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 12:41:31 pm »
My battery tester came with the kit Cochlear sent me prior to actually being connected.  I am sure they are inexpensive, but probably more from Cochlear than somewhere else on line.
~Dale
Tarzana, CA

lori67

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 01:57:13 pm »
Hey, I had to buy my own battery tester! 

You're right, Dale, they are inexpensive.  I think I paid about $5 for two of them, and they have little keychains attached and a little drawer to keep a spare battery in.

Lori

Paul F

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 03:24:50 pm »
I know you are all discussing the BP-100 batteries but someone mentioned implant batteries.  The Power One p675 batteries used with the BAHA Intenso are marked as Implant plus.  The size 10 batteries from Power One that I use for my hearing aid only say 'for hearing'.  Some one also mentioned in some forum recently that there was a physical difference in size of some of the size 13 batteries from different manufacturers that may be causing intermittent contact.  I'm sure there will be a solution shortly.
Paul