Author Topic: Balance as we get older  (Read 7388 times)

jerseygirl

Balance as we get older
« on: September 16, 2010, 02:51:30 pm »
Here is an article in NYT on the importance of balance as we get older:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/16/business/retirementspecial/16BALANCE.html?src=busln

I found it a good read.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

nanramone

Re: Balance as we get older
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 06:21:44 am »
Thanks for this article - this is the same type of info given to me by the vestibular therapist I went to - we ALL lose balance as we age. Thus, I looked at the AN imbalance issue as a wakeup call to stay in good shape! We all need to take care of our health in this way.

AROBTEK

• Annette (arobtek)
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 07:32:45 pm »
Thanks for posting that link.  I am coming up on my 3 yr. anniversary of the removal of 'Tina Tumor'.  I am back at work and function pretty well.  I do have to be careful when turning and tend to lose my balance easily.  It is very irritating to say the least!  Since I will hit 55 this year, I guess I qualify as 'older' and quite often 'unbalanced'! 

Thanks,
Annette
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 02:07:19 pm by Jim Scott »
2.6 cm AN L side
Diagnosed 12/10/07
Surgery date: 1/24/08
Dr. Doug Mattox & Dr. Jeff Olson
Emory University Hosp. - Atlanta

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 07:15:50 pm »
I often worry/wonder how the "golden years" will be in the balance dept since my balance has been destroyed by the whole AN experience
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 11:12:10 am »
I don't see how it will be any worse, esp in my case.           Now if you have for some reason some labyrinthitis on the other side or a virus, then maybe.     Maybe that other side has compensated enough that a new health problem would affect you but like in my case with the no balance nerves only under certain conditions.              Inside on carpet is fine.    Outside is not in many cases but I can even look fine but it can feel weird.                         If there is a reason for poor balance due to weak muscles or fractured bones then the usual PT may help and you end up using a cane or a walker.                            I know now what type surfaces bother me, walking alot outside (but the state fair did a little better this year for me), watching uneven surfaces, in the dark.etc and to be more careful where I know it is harder.           You just get tired of having to watch more of what used to be something you did without paying much attention.             You know more than some old people do about asking for help even though they hate to "bother" others.     How to have your house fixed with the right safety issues.        Where outside is a place which is more uneven and if there is a way to have it fixed.                    How do I know some of this?                3 of us retired hospital workers took a 3 morning class to give it as an 8 hr session at 2 hours a time to what ever group of older people want it.     We have a noteook to follow and the group receive their own type notebook.      We have done one class and will be doing another this fall.         We don't give them rules as such to follow but help them examine their own life and what they need to learn about safety and how to be the safest they can be for their own situitation.   We also teach some mild exercises to help strengthen them.    Also how to get up from a chair or bed, if they fall etc.    It is available thru various programs which help the older adult.    (We're not supposed to call them elderly or seniors)                       
                                                  Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 02:29:53 pm »
Cheryl ~

The work you and other retired hospital personnel are doing to help 'older adults' (I like that term!) with balance issues is definitely commendable.  As an AN patient with only one functioning balance nerve I've been self-taught (like most AN patients) on how to strengthen my balance ability working with what I have as well as to avoid situations where I could easily lose my balance.  Because I enjoyed a good recovery and try to stay in shape my only balance issue arises if I stumble, which is, thankfully, rare.  Unless I can grab something to steady myself, once my balance is lost, I'm probably going down.  Fortunately, not only is that a very rare occurrence but I'm still limber enough to 'save' myself from falling badly.  Of the few times I've fallen, once was onto grass (foolishly jumping off the back of a (stationary) pickup truck) and once or twice in my home when something was unexpectedly left in my path and I didn't see or expect it to be there.  Each time, I was able to break my fall and/or grab something to stop the fall.  In the grass, I simply rolled when I hit the ground (from a few feet above it) and was unharmed.  Well, except for my pride.  Luckily, no one was around to observe that inelegant moment.  As AN patients, we're almost required to learn how to compensate for our balance deficit.  Your assistance to older adults struggling with balance problems is certainly a big help to them, I'm sure.  Thanks for taking on that educational mission.  The world could use more empathetic people like you.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nftwoed

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 03:05:52 pm »
Hi;

I believe I've read an article which in essence stated there is a point in age where balance ability essentially equals loss of balance function on one side.
  Of course, if balance function is lost both sides, I cannot imagine one's balance stabilizing at a point of age.
  Guess if I don't die, I'll be part of the hypothesis.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 07:03:02 am »
I have jokingly said that with no working vestibular systems, I have already maxed out my stability ..... so the good thing is, my balance will not get any worse as I continue to age!  However, I am exercising diligently and on a regular basis to keep my core and leg muscles as strong as possible.  Do not want to add a broken something-or-other to the mix!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

JimmyD

• Don't sweat the small stuff
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 12:34:09 pm »
I am also 55 but have Bilateral AN's plus blind in left eye from Glioma tumor when I was 5.For the most part I get around pretty good.Showering,wailking in dim or darkness,large stores,uneven ground or multi color floor is another story.It's tough. :(
Glioma Tumor left optic nerve 1960,RS AN 2.2CM FSR 5 treatments @JHH by Dr Williams in 1999 & LS AN 2.6CM 30 treatments 2007 by Dr Brian Chon@Centra State,NJ.Blind in L.eye,deaf in R.ear.Test for NF2 came back negative.Doing OK.

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 09:14:37 am »
Dear Cheryl and Jim and others with AN,

The major reason I've restarted this post is I am looking toward the long term. Unlike people with no vestibular balance nerves, I have one left.

However, as if I didn't have enough problems already, I have another, I cannot afford to fall on my right arm again because I have metal in it. So it is necessary that I get into shape and tone my core and legs.

Cheryl, do you still do balance training with older adults?

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Cheryl R

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 01:34:38 pm »
Mike, We have not done any more classes for a time but will have a session in Sept and one in Oct.      They are 2 hrs a week for 4 weeks.      It is not balance per say, but to make older adults ( we're not suppose to say elderly) aware of all they have to watch out for in their home and outside to prevent falls.  Also not to give up and not try.      Balance is mentioned as older people do have balance issues as part of what may be make them more prone to a fall.            We go from a book we have about what is talked about each session.  Plus we do some mild exercises that can strengthen them.      The whole info comes from an aging resources state and national level groups.                            So really every one whether they are missing a balance nerve or not has to watch and pay more attention as they do grow older and have more reasons to to falls.     Changes in bones,medicines taken, poorer vision, too much pride in an older person to ask for help, needed changes in how their homes have used items easy to obtain,are just part of what may make it easier to not have a fall which change their life.               Good info for alot of people.      There has to be some booklet or info somewhere on what one does have to watch out for if a person does have balance issues with aging.                                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care