Author Topic: melt down  (Read 6001 times)

Brewers7

melt down
« on: September 16, 2010, 08:12:31 am »
Went to marriage counseling yesterday with my husband of 17 years who admitted, as I suspected, that he was bored and would consider separation or divorce.  I am devastated.  He was my primary support through nearly 2 years of this, until the past couple of months.  It seems like he is waiting for be to get better so that he can leave without feeling too guilty.  What a box?
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
Re: melt down
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 08:41:25 am »
Hi, I haven't been on the computer as much just read your post I am so sorry for the devastating news... In one way at least he went with you to the marriage counselor so hoping that maybe if you two can continue to go it might help and if the counselor seems not the right one try another... I know I have been through this myself.. If you need to vent you can PM me.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Brewers7

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 09:35:22 am »
Thank you Pat.  He did agree to continue in counseling. 
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 10:04:31 am »
Brewers -

don't want to be pessimistic here, but my ex and I tried marriage counseling twice before our divorce.  Didn't do anything for us - but then again, I don't think he was really committed to it.  If your husband is willing to go, it's a step in the right direction - but you both have to be willing to make changes to your marriage and to yourselves.

In the meantime, find the support you need to get you through your AN Journey - be it family or friends.  It's crucial that you have someone to support you.  Don't let your husband and his "boredom" define you.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 01:02:03 pm »
Hi, Susan ~

I know you've been through a lot with your AN and now, this.  Of course I'm very sorry to learn about your marriage difficulties but the fact that your 'bored' husband is attending marriage counseling with you is encouraging.  I won't attempt to offer marriage advice because the dynamic within a marriage is always unique to the individuals involved and one persons experience does not necessarily apply to another persons marriage and it's attendant problems.  At this point, you have my sympathy and more important, my prayers that you and your husband can find common ground and repair whatever needs repairing so you can move on together as a couple. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Brewers7

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 01:43:53 pm »
Thank you Jim and Jan.  At first I was just trying to look at this as one more step in the healing process, but yesterday and today have been tough.

Mickey

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 01:46:09 pm »
Wishing you well in whatever goes on within your marriage but more focused on what goes on with your health. Please take good care of yourself because with a AN on your plate you have enough to handle with hope that your husband no matter what will stay supportive. In any case alot of good people out here wishing you feel as good as can be ASAP! Best wishes, Mickey

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 02:49:54 pm »
I'm going to look at this as a person sitting behind my computer reading your post.

17 years and now he decides he is bored. That sucks.

Your feeling he has been waiting for you to get better so you won't be taken on too much at once. That's like mixed up to me. So is he nice or not? I mean it's like he is keeping this all pinned up inside and not been honest with you.

Everyone says their are two sides to every story. But since your a fellow AN er. And you listed two major points for your side. 17years and your getting over your AN. I'm on your side.  ;D

Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

Brewers7

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 03:06:02 pm »
He was really good to me during the first year of crazy complications.  I am really having a hard time understanding why now - my health has finally improved to a manageable point, at least.

nanramone

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 04:21:31 pm »
I agree with funnydream - in committed relationships, there are times when one or the other person has to suck it up and step up to the plate. It's also called "growing a pair".

This is NOT an acceptable time to drop the ball. 

Sorry if that's harsh.