Author Topic: Less than a week to homecoming  (Read 2303 times)

Karla83401

Less than a week to homecoming
« on: May 20, 2006, 10:14:07 pm »
Hello everyone!  I just wanted to let you know that mom is supposed to be home the 26th.  Less than a week.  We're very excited here at home, and a little nervous as well.  I have been in contact with Batty and Cookie, but if any of you have any ideas to make her recovery at home easier and smoother, please let me know.  Any little thing helps.  Like Batty's idea of the "gopher" to help mom pick things up.  We will be having a familiy meeting before mom comes home to discuss what we can do and provide.  Please please please any of you vetrans let me know what to do with her!  I appreciate it.  My personal address is loolaboosmom@yahoo.com

Thanks all, you're a great help, and I'll let you know when she leaves for sure, and how she is when she's home - if she doesn't do so herself!

God Bless,
Andrea
diag. 2/23/06 left side
4x8x6mm bony area
1.4x.1.1x1.1cm brain area
waiting for surgery in May 06

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
Re: Less than a week to homecoming
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 04:46:11 am »
Andrea,

Your mom is very lucky to have you on board and here is a big cheer for ya.

[size=20pt][/ON YA ANDREA]

maybe an ice pack in case she gets headaches. But the best medecine will be you being there for her and continue your love and support - thats all she will want.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 07:13:23 am »

sounds like you have a good plan already in place !

just be there for her.. she should not lift anything heavy for a few weeks ... take her for walks to improve her balance

does she have any eye issues? if so kept drops around .. I never leave home without em !
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

matti

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 08:57:19 am »
Great news Andrea!

hospitals are notorious for not getting much/any sleep. Once the excitement wears off of getting home, you may want to limit the amount of visitors. It is really draining. Encourage her to take naps, helps in healing.

Defintely the bending and lifting are hard and let her avoid those.  Might want to give her a nice neck/back massage everyday.

encourage her to take short walks with someone. Be Patient, if her balance is compromised it can be frustrating for her.

Your mom will have a smooth recovery because of the love and support from you and your family. I was also blessed with that kind of support.

Hope your mom enjoyed her gifts from the wench crew   ;)

Hugs to you,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 09:00:31 am »
From the way it sounds your mom is doing, I predict things will go smooth!

No lifting!
Lots of laughing!
Lots of hugging!
shower chair (closing your eyes while standing up takes some getting used to!) If you don't have one use a yard chair (lawn chair, plastic chair) they are mush cheaper and you're mom sounds like she is doing quite well in the balance department. 

If she has to have any meds ask that the doctors call them into the pharmacy you generally use so you can have them ready for her when she gets home.  It will be one less hassle for everyone.  They called mine in when I left the hospital so all we had to do was swing through the drive in pharmacy to pick them up without having to wait.
And remember we are here if you have anymore questions after you get your mom home!
Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Pembo

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 10:50:22 am »
Lots of Tylenol!!! I eat that stuff like candy. lol

I'm not sure if she has any facial weakness but soft foods and plenty of napkins.

When I came home I wanted a shower in my OWN bathroom, a nap on my OWN bed, and some good, hot food! The steriods made me very hungry.

Also I didn't like the tv or radio on unless I was alone. SSD was hard to adjust to and any background noise was very difficult for me.

And I agree with lots of hugging....what side was her surgery? Remember to hug the other side! I learned very quick that EVERYONE hugs on the right, except me and my right sided AN. :)
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 06:52:53 pm »
Hugs, lots of hugs Andrea!!!!!!  Maybe a good bubble bath as well?

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"