Author Topic: St. Vincent Medical Center in L.A. Uses New Brain Tumor “Vacuum”  (Read 13799 times)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Wendy, welcome to our little club...you are something of a celebrity! :)  I am a House alum myself and was please to hear they are still looking at new ways of zapping these buggers out of our head!  That 5 1/2 days sounds right on par with what I did...I had middle fossa as well, with Schwartz/Brackmann.  I am almost 11 months post op and still have a bit of hearing left, but I am gonna need some sort of hearing aid, as I can hear people talking, but not what they say specifically...I forget that term now....speech discrimination? Anyways, thank you for sharing your story! It's always neat to hear all the different stories that are out there! Take care!!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

4cm in Pacific Northwest

:) Vaccuum up the brain booger... nifty idea. Sounds like some great HOUSEkeeping tool ...LOL :D

You know I am convinced I have a few cobwebs still left behind ... Hmm vaccuum the brain and clean it up a bit :D ;) ... Dr. Swartz is onto something there...

Seriously this IS a great article and success story. Thanks for the posting this story. It is always exciting when they come up with newer and better ways to keep an AN patient's smile ...yet remove the tumor.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Kaybo

Wendy~
Thanks for answering my question - I'd rather be safe than sorry!   ;)  I hope that your balance is continuing to get better and better - sounds like it if you are doing Zumba (I tried that once and aside from offering comic relief to the class, it KILLED my knees!!)!!  LOL! 

FWIW, I had HORRIBLE headaches BEFORE I had surgery and then during the recovery period and then NONE now...I hope that this is the case for you!!  I do think that the "electric shock" ones are pretty common...at least for me...but not TOO long!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sterry

Kudos to  the HEI team.  They are pretty amazing. I just celebrated my one year anniversary, feeling pretty darn great and what difference a year makes.  I get the weird electric shock buzz in the head, but no headaches :). Hope you continue to heal.
Susie
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well

wwarr

• Attitude is everything =)
    • www.photobucket.com
K,
How long was your recovery period when your headaches stopped? Also, did you experience extreme fatigue? Right now, I'm trying to find my "new normal" you know? :)

Thanks,
Wendy 
4 mm x 8 mm 12/08
1.4 cm rt. AN middle fossa on 7/23/10
hearing and facial nerve preserved. Grateful for brilliant surgeons Dr. Friedman/ Dr. Schwartz @ HEI in LA, CA.

post op chronic headaches
”Faith in every footstep...let go and let God”

wwarr

• Attitude is everything =)
    • www.photobucket.com
Thanks for the welcome and comments Susie, DHM and Jay.

Jay, that's great about being an HEI alumni too.  11 months post op! Wow! What type of experiences in your healing did you encounter? Any problems w/ headaches like I've explained? How long did it take to feel back to "normal"?  Would like any feedback if you don't mind.

Wendy =)
4 mm x 8 mm 12/08
1.4 cm rt. AN middle fossa on 7/23/10
hearing and facial nerve preserved. Grateful for brilliant surgeons Dr. Friedman/ Dr. Schwartz @ HEI in LA, CA.

post op chronic headaches
”Faith in every footstep...let go and let God”