Author Topic: 11 days after surgery normal to get worse?  (Read 9051 times)

maro

11 days after surgery normal to get worse?
« on: September 01, 2010, 02:22:05 am »
Hi  Everybody, I was reading and old post from December about a delayed paralysis, my husband got surgery 11 days ago and everything appeared to be fine on his facial nerve, yesterday I started to notice that he couldn't close his eye and you  also notice in his mouth the change , besides problems when he eats. Is this situation get worse, or it is going to get better, the doctors didn't talk about this when we left because he didn't have any of this issues, we should contact the doctor right away?We leave 10 hours away from the place where the surgery was done. Is anything they can do? Sorry about all this questions I am panicking everyday that goes by. Thank you very much  I am desperate!!!  Maro

Cheryl R

Re: 11 days after surgery normal to get worse?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 05:52:24 am »
Maro, You can call the surgeon and see as some may give a steroid dose for this but some do not.      Sounds like some delayed swelling and it will get better in time.    No one can say exactly how long.          He should though be using some eye drops in his eye if feels like any dry eye at all.       There are heavier gel types of several different brand available in drugstores.     There is a tube gel for nighttime use too.            Otherwise you just have to wait it out and nothing needs to be done as such.  Can make eating harder and  feels frustrating but the muscles are not damaged to where won't be ok once the nerve has healed from the swelling.                Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

maro

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 07:49:22 am »
Thank you Cheryl, I will call right away

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 10:33:50 am »
I'm with Cheryl.  Call his doctor.

Good luck - and please keep us posted.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

maro

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 11:42:32 am »
Thanks Jan, Just waiting for the doctor to call back. As far as the headaches go nothing help. Hydrocodone, oxicodone, Advil, Ibuprofen . He found a bottle of migraine formula (acetaminophen, aspirin and caffeine) that was the only thing that took the headache away. It is a coincidence or this really work? I 'am so happy to see him without a headache since the surgery.

Lizard

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 02:47:29 pm »
Hi,
I agree make sure you get in touch with the DR and steriods should help.  Sort of surprised he wasn't still on them?  every treatment is different so who knows.  Ask the Dr about Fiorcet or butalbital, they were great with the headaches in the early days. 
Keep us posted,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

maro

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 04:10:59 pm »
The nurse called back and was going to ask the Dr. if steroids was the way to go. I keep praying that will do it. thanks guys you have been a big help and thanks for this forum -  I have somebody that understand  this journey new for us.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 04:43:54 pm »
Maro, delayed facial palsy is very common following the surgery I had for hemifacial spasm. Fortunately it is usually quick to resolve and there is usually no residual weakness. I hope your husband is better soon.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

maro

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 07:22:54 pm »
Thanks Sara,

moe

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 10:11:27 pm »
  He found a bottle of migraine formula (acetaminophen, aspirin and caffeine) that was the only thing that took the headache away. It is a coincidence or this really work? I 'am so happy to see him without a headache since the surgery.
Hi Maro,
Yes, Migraine formula (excedrin) is wonderful for headaches. Though you need to be careful of the aspirin content (I think 325 mg in one tab). You can always get aspirin free excedrin if you're concerned about too much aspirin.

Like Sara stated, delayed facial palsy is common. Hopefully your doc will prescribe a steroid.

I had bad headaches for many weeks post surgery, but they DID go away. Gentle soothing CD's on headphone may help, ice pack, just takes time.. Rest as much as possible with lots of sleep.

Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

maro

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 10:45:04 pm »
Thanks Maureen, I will look tomorrow for Excedrin (aspirin free) and by the way the doctor did prescribe steroids for the next couple weeks hope that help with his face issues.  Also the eye doctor said that his eye was a little bit dry, I think the artificial tears weren't helping too much. He told us to use instead Lacri-Lube. Thanks again. God Bless. MARO

moe

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 11:26:42 pm »
Maro,
Yes keep those eyes lubricated with lacri-lube. Don't want to mess with the cornea. I use ointment 24/7 since I had facial nerve cut, and my cornea is "ok".
Taping the eye shut at night with thin strip of paper tape will help also, if the eye won't completely shut- can't say enough about keeping the eye lubricated!
Hope things improve steadily.
Maureen :)
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

maro

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 10:57:50 pm »
Hello again!! Seems to be that the headaches are getting a lot better with the excedrin pills (aspirin free) thanks God they worked!! I have another question for you guys. My husband got  the surgery 15 days ago  . It is normal that the swelling behind his ear  is bigger than when he left the hospital? We went today to the local hospital to remove the sutures and the doctor said that he was going to wait another week because that swelling could be a blood cloth but he  wasn't too concern about it .Not fever, and the red it is not a bright red. Just the big ball behind his ear. What do you thing? Thank you, MARO

Cheryl R

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 07:17:32 am »
I doubt it is a blood clot but can't say for sure.    There can be a swollen area with serous fluid in it.  I did at one time and had to be drained.      CSF is another possibiltiy.   Infection but would think he had a fever.             Can you  call where you had surgery as most places have an on call dr or resident that will answer questions and concerns 24 hr a day.       It might be nothing but I would ask if you do have a number to call.                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Lizard

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 01:04:27 pm »
I had the same thing happen and it was CSF fluid, but it will hopefully be reabsorbed.  If not then the Dr might consider a surgery to fix it?  Is the area really squishy?  What happened to me was that it bulged out really far and then broke through new scar.  I had it cauterized a couple times and took a while to close, but it wasn't a big deal.
Keep us posted, and I'm so happy to hear the headaches are under control.
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt