Author Topic: Finally made up my mind  (Read 3058 times)

Goldie

Finally made up my mind
« on: August 28, 2010, 10:09:23 pm »
I've been going back and forth ever since my translab last October about whether to get a BAHA.  I tried the demo in January, thinking I would be going for it, and ended up being rather disappointed.  As time has gone on, I've gotten more frustrated in certain situations with my SSD so decided to give the demo another try.  This time I had it for the weekend and was very happy with what I could hear--it was hard to give back the demo after that weekend!  I consulted with my ENT surgeon on Friday and now we just wait for prior auth from my insurance.  That sounds like it may just take a couple of weeks for me (I know much longer for several of you), so I'm hoping to have the surgery in September and my BAHA by Christmas.  What a present that would be!  Your posts have been very encouraging on going forward with this, so thank you (yes, I've been lurking).  I'm not too excited about getting another hole in my head :P, but I look forward to the results! 

Denise D.
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.

moe

Re: Finally made up my mind
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 11:20:01 am »
Denise,
Congrats on making the decision to get a BAHA! Minor procedure, compared to brain surgery and "leapyrtwins" here on the forum will be pleased as punch that another gets to join the club ;D

I had the BAHA implanted with my original brain surgery, but I didn't tolerate it, because if was malfunctioning (accidentally dropped) and my tinnitus got in the way. So the abutment was "unscrewed" from my scalp.

I'm trying it again this fall so hopefully by xmas I too will "screwed" again! (that didn't come out right, but I'm leaving it ;D ) They just have to put in the abutment-the device is already in my skull.

Which BAHA are you getting? There is the cochlear BP 100 (I think ) that Jan has, and another one "Oticon." I'll be getting the Oticon, which is what the military hospital has where I go, so I don't get a choice. But both are good, and have different settings, which may help control my tinnitus.

Good luck!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Goldie

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 11:25:18 am »
Thanks, Maureen.  I decided to go with the Oticon Ponto Pro too.  It just seemed to be a better fit for me, although I'm sure the BP100 would be fine too.  Good luck to you too!  I hope it goes better for you this time.

Denise
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 02:11:57 pm »
Denise ~

I just wanted to pop in and offer you my congratulations on making the decision to 'Go BAHA'.  I'm not a BAHA user but I know they're a real help for many SSD folks, like us.  I'm sure you'll love it.  :)

Jim
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 01:18:01 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 03:43:21 pm »
Denise -

Moe is right.  I A "pleased as punch" that another BAHA wearer will be joining the "group" and I hope you love your BAHA just as much as I love mine.

It really is an amazing tool for those of us who are SSD  ;D

Once you get a surgery date, please PM me your mailing address so I can send you one of Lori's and my Official BAHA Recovery Kits.  They are free of charge - not much in life is, these days - and I think you'll enjoy it.

Moe -

glad to see you will be joining the BAHA ranks, yourself  ;D

I'm guessing the "screw" (aka titanium rod) already implanted into your skull is a Cochlear product, since Oticon wasn't manufacturing BAHA systems until just recently.

Are your doctors sure that they can attach an Oticon abutment to a Cochlear "screw"?  I'm pretty sure they can - until September - but I'm not 100% certain, so it might be a question to ask.

Recently developments by Cochlear (see my post in the hearing section) will make the processors (tiny hearing aids) and the "equipment" (titanium rods and abutments) manufacturered by Cochlear incompatible with Oticon products.

I'd offer you a BAHA Recovery Kit, but 98% of the contents are only useful to those having the surgery that you've already have.  The other 2% though, as you've probably already heard from some of our recipients, is chocolate.  So in the spirit of BAHA, I'll send you chocolate if you'll PM me your mailing address.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 09:30:57 am »

Are your doctors sure that they can attach an Oticon abutment to a Cochlear "screw"?  I'm pretty sure they can - until September - but I'm not 100% certain, so it might be a question to ask.

Jan,
Good point, I'll ask him when I see him in September.
And thanks for the chocolate offer! Really it's ok I'll grab a hershey's with almond bar on the way home ;D
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Goldie

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 06:58:41 pm »
Thanks, Jan.  I will definitely drop you a note when I get a date.  I will never pass up a chance for chocolate!   :D So nice of you and Lori to send out these kits (even if it didn't have chocolate!).

Denise

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 11:38:50 am »
Yeah, despite our bad-girl reputations, Lori and I are actually fairly nice.  It's Kaybo who's always stirring up trouble  ;)  :D

Moe -

grab a Hershey's for me - no almonds!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways