Author Topic: Post-surgery Follow-up - THANKS!  (Read 2503 times)

dgrummer

Post-surgery Follow-up - THANKS!
« on: May 15, 2006, 02:31:40 pm »
I just wanted to take a second and thank everyone on this board.  My husband and I returned from his first follow-up appointment since his surgery Feb 23.  The MRI scans looked great.  It appears they got the entire thing.   He has another MRI in 6 mts – then we can go to a year.

This has been a totally amazing experience.  His AN was almost 3.5 cm and was severely compressing his brain – but his only symptoms were really slight facial numbness.  The day after his surgery – all his symptoms were gone and he was smiling.  He’s had no side effects other than loosing his hearing.

Only thing the doctor said was that he should still refrain from lifting heavy stuff – oops – he had just lifted 60 bags of mulch the weekend before.   Although he says he still doesn’t have the stamina he did pre-surgery – I can’t tell.   He’s doing everything he once was.

This journey has been full of lowest moments and highest.  I pray for all that are just starting out.  It’s almost too hard to comprehend what we’ve just been through when we look back.  Seems like such a bad dream. For those who are just beginning their journey – know that no matter how scared you are right now - there is hope and things will be fine.

Thank you all.
dana

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Re: Post-surgery Follow-up - THANKS!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 02:57:19 pm »
Thank you Dana....a great story for those of us still awaiting surgery and wondering what we will end up with.  I'm 3.1 with hearing loss and tinnitus as my only real symptoms.  I hope that I can do as well as your husband!  Good luck on all the future MRI's!!! 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 09:04:30 pm »
Oh I like to hear so wonderful reports!  Congrats!
It gives those still in pretreatment mode such hope!

Desilu

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 01:11:16 pm »
Dana,

It's so nice to hear another success story.  Thank you for your post!  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

jewells

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 04:45:57 am »
Hello my husband is having his operation on 30th May we are starting to panic and he has stopped being his bright smiley self.  The doctor told us the operation is about 5-6 hrs long.  How long ago did you have your operation and how long after did he start feeling better.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 07:00:56 am »
jewells,

What kind of surgery is he having, where, who by and how big is his growth and does he have any symptoms?

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

jewells

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 03:34:56 pm »
jewells,

What kind of surgery is he having, where, who by and how big is his growth and does he have any symptoms?

Laz

It is behind his left ear, so they need to cut through the bone and it is in his ear canal, his only symptons are hearing loss and the ringing in his ear
His doctors in Melbourne, Australia are Dr Briggs and Dr Fabinyi and we will be having it in the Epworth Hospital

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 07:21:46 pm »
Oh boy Laz more aussies!   8)

Jewells did I ever answer you're email?  I'm sorry I dont' remember  :( ??? :(

The surgery times vary and it could take longer than they say depending on if the tumor is sticky or not.