Author Topic: update on my Dad.  (Read 3760 times)

opp2

update on my Dad.
« on: January 26, 2011, 10:33:58 pm »
I felt bad hijacking ombrerose's thread. I have a quick update on my Dad. I knew he was in better spirits because my Mom told me he'd spoken to his doctor. The doc said that he may not be healing at the lung but he could go home with a one way valve in his chest. Similar to folks who have ostomy bags or catheters, he could go home with this valve and have home care help with it. This seems to have worked wonders for him. When I saw him today he looked sooooooo much better, and he feels way better too. So he says. My Mom has a meeting with the Dr tomorrow to arrange home care. It's a good feeling.

The strangest part is he just didn't want to die in the hospital. He wants to be at home, no matter what the prognosis. He is very emotional now. I suppose being that close to death will cause the emotions to come pouring out. He has quit smoking (like he had a choice) and hopefully my Mom will too. He's lost nearly 30lb in 2 weeks... It's so crazy...good but crazy...

he's only 69...hopefully he'll see 79...
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: update on my Dad.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 11:16:07 pm »
Oh my goodness, 69 is young these days ..... but smoking has a definite aging effect on the human body.

Many thoughts and prayers for you and your whole family during this most difficult time.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 06:54:40 am »
Glad that he was able to come home!!  Continued healing for him and for your mom to stop smoking!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 02:12:20 pm »
Nikki,

I'm glad to hear your dad has shown so much improvement and will be able to go home.  I hate being in the hospital and find it very depressing and I'm sure I'm not alone.  I hope this is a wake up call for both your mom and dad and they give up smoking together.

You remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 03:55:17 pm »
Nikki ~

Thanks for the encouraging update on your dad!  I was never in any danger of expiring while hospitalized for my AN surgery - but I was very anxious to be out and home.  I think most doctors realize that, when medically feasible, a patient that can go home to recuperate is usually better off in the long run.

As a former smoker (I quit, 'cold turkey' back in 1989) I can state that stopping smoking can do nothing but good for anyone.  As someone who is close to your father's age, I know that we grow somewhat resigned to our mortality as the years roll on.  Although I'm relatively sanguine about my inevitable demise, I never think much about it as it is not really within my control.   I simply enjoy each day that I'm given.  I trust that your dad - and all of us - can do the same....try to enjoy our lives as much as possible knowing that our mortal existence is finite - no exceptions.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Keeping Up

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 08:27:16 pm »
Hi Nikki

Sorry to hear of your father's health issues - 69 is way too young to be faced with a critical illness (especially when it is your Dad!)  Getting home will do him and your mom wonders.  Hospitals are awful places, especially if the recovery is slower than expected.

Take care - was thinking of you over the last week after the death of the police officer in Toronto, very sad and tragic.  (BTW - I moved well West to Calgary last month- unfortunate I didn't meet you when I was still living in Toronto.)

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

opp2

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 08:50:56 pm »
Thanks Ann...Wow Calgary! What a great adventure! I'm sure we'll meet some day.

I did hear from my Mom tonight and, if all goes as planned, he will be discharged home Saturday am. He should be having daily nursing care come by the house, and with my Mom being a nurse prior to her retirement, they should make out ok. I worry about her too though. She is his sole caregiver and he can be a handful. Hopefully she will take off when the nurse is there. I'm just happy that things worked out so differently than what we thought we were faced with on the 11th.

It was a sad and tragic day Sgt Russell was killed. The timing was the day after my Dad was rushed in..Brings home our own mortality and the fragility of life.

Have fun in the big C! Keep in touch with us...
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

opp2

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 08:07:46 am »
I know there have been many stories of loss and sadness on the forum in recent weeks. I would like to announce that my Dad had his chest tube out yesterday! YAY!!! We thought they would never take it out, and I think that my Mom, secretly, thought they were sending him home to die. Peacefully and in his own time. Well I guess that time aint just yet. Each day is a blessing and he is not taking this lightly. I hope to be able to visit this weekend. They live 1.5 hours north of me, in deep snow country, but the weather is supposed to be warm and wet so we shall see. I'm happy that he's getting this second chance.

mk

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 01:13:43 pm »
Great news Nikki, I am happy that your Dad is doing so much better.  I hope you can visit this weekend and perhaps spend Family Day there.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 06:20:35 pm »
 Second chances are wonderful, aren't they?  I am so glad your dad is doing well and will be praying for him to continue to improve  :)
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Mark241

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 09:43:40 am »
So glad your Dads' doing better, my Father is the same age, if its' OK I would like to share your your story with him, I cant' get him to budge on his smoking habit.
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

opp2

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 08:31:33 am »
It is definitely ok to share. Best wishes.