Author Topic: Knocking BP100 off my head constantly!!!  (Read 3089 times)

arkansasfarmgirl

Knocking BP100 off my head constantly!!!
« on: August 17, 2010, 07:56:30 am »
Anybody else have this problem?

It happens several times a day.  I've done it twice already this morning.  My 2 year old hugged me and knocked it off (she is a frequent offender) and I hung it on a fan cord while feeding the horses.  It seems I am constantly doing something that makes it come off my head.  I thought I would learn not to knock it off after wearing it for a while, but after a few months it hasn't gotten a bit better.  Please tell me I'm not the only one!!  :-P

Vonda

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Knocking BP100 off my head constantly!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 08:08:03 am »
Haven't knocked my processor (Divino at the time) off my head since the first week or two after I started wearing it - and then it was only 2 times.  Technically my son knocked it off one of those times.   

I've never knocked my BP100 off my head.

Perhaps you should try to use the safety line (looks a little like fishing line) that came with your BP100.  I've never used it, but from all the Cochlear meetings I've attended I've found that lots of people do.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

grega

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 08:10:44 am »
Hi  Vonda!

I and perhaps others probably can get a "visual" on the first one with your child, but that second one ..... just can't picture that  ???

I have knocked it off once .... I think I was just stretching arms over my head, but I was sitting at the time, and it didn't fall far.  Why not attach that little plastic cord made to keep the device attached to clothing for just these instances.

WOW ...... be careful, as things happen in threes  :o .

Keep   ;D- ing

greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

Paul F

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 10:44:29 am »
No, your not alone.  Mine has come off several times, once requiring repair.  Now I am just careful not to wear it in a lot of situations, one of them while being around my horses.  That really does limit the time I can use my BAHA and the benefit I could be getting from it.  I wish there were a better way to attach the BAHA to the abutment so that it would not come that easily.
Paul

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 12:07:02 pm »
You're not alone.  I had that problem when the abutment was located at the upper half of my head(slightly above the ear).  I used to knock it off too many times until I knocked the abutment out.  It was due to too many hitting it.  I went back to my ENT and he did a re-surgery and relocate my abutments behind my ears.  I very seldom knock my bahas off.  I don't use the fish line thing now but, I did before.  ;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 12:25:56 pm »
Wearing the fishing line is just asking for my kids to yank it off my head.  Seriously.  And one more thing for me to hang on stuff.  And I don't usually wear it when I'm handling horses, but I don't go in the stalls to feed them, so I thought I was safe.  HA!  A couple of days ago, I moved out of the way of somebody and bumped my head on a wall and it fell off.  I've hung it on my car door when trying to squeeze in because somebody parked too close.  One day last week, my little one knocked it off 3 times in less than 5 minutes.  I can't remember all the instances I've knocked it off, probably at least 30 times in the last few months.  If it wasn't for needing to shower occasionally <grin> I'd be tempted to glue the darn thing on my head!

I have a feeling that location might be part of the problem.  I'm wearing a ponytail today, so it's visible outside of my hair, but when you see me from the front you don't see the processor.  They did it at the same time as my translab, so it was further back than normal.

<sigh>
Maybe I'll learn to deal with it before it gets wrecked...
Vonda

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 12:36:27 pm »
The car door was what caused my abutment to fall out the first time.  I had my Baha on the fishing line tied to my necklace. Now, I don't wear the necklace or the fish line thing.
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 01:08:28 pm »
Ken -

just wanted to clarify for those who won't personally know you, that part of your issue with knocking your processors off of your head can be attributed to your compromised eye-sight.  Now that they have been relocated, I don't believe you've had this problem.

I've never used the "fishing line" - in fact, I think it's comical (as in, I doubt it would do much good) - but those who have used it tell me it's valuable.

So I say try it, you might like it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways