Author Topic: Back from Paris - my ankle weights were a problem at the airport!  (Read 4862 times)

jerseygirl

Hello everybody,

I am back from my London/Paris vacation. I am still dealing with time zone change and catching up on all posts.

As I was afraid, my ankle weights were a problem at the airport. ;D The suitcase was manually searched, I was seriously questioned and ankle weights were deemed " a security threat"! I flew out of JFK in NYC and the security staff got all excited and very rude but finally all was settled. I flew back from Charles De Gaulle airport in Paris and my suitcase was also manually searched. This time the contents of the suitcase were not unceremoniously dumped on the table and nobody was rude. The lady, however, had her jaw dropped in amazement when she recovered ankle weighs: "What is this?!!". I had to explain that it is for physical therapy and I have a problem with my leg and foot. She still could not believe it. She stood there still with her eyes rounded and mouth wide open. Then I put the ankle weights on and started doing the exercises! She finally understood and nodded in agreement. She asked me what is inside. I said I really don't know but it is probably sand. If I rip open any one of the ankle weights, it would stop being useful to me because it would no longer weight 5 lbs. I might as well throw it out, I said. She put the ankle weights back in the suitcase, and said that I can go.

It is a really strange feeling to exercise at CDG airport in Paris in front of all those people!   ;D It is amazing where AN can lead you!
These are very old ankle weights, left from my first surgery over twenty years ago. I figured if I lose them, I have nicer ones left at home. I used them 3 times during my vacation ( and once at the airport!) and had no trouble  walking whatsoever. It is quite a difference even from a year ago. My husband is shocked and I am elated!

I hope all PTs on the forum can appreciate my commitment to the home based exercise program.  ;D

Eve

Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
Re: Back from Paris - my ankle weights were a problem at the airport!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 06:07:18 pm »
What a story  ;D  I wish I was a fly on the wall in both airports.  I am so sorry the security people were so rude to you in your own country.  If anything the experience is definitely a great story!

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

jerseygirl

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 06:28:41 pm »
Next time I fly I will get a doctor's note that I need those ankle weights and put them in the bin to be examined instead of the suitcase. I hope it will solve a lot of problems. I just did not think ankle weights would cause such a reaction! People travel with a lot of different things. Why would ankle weights be such a problem?!!

Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 01:38:55 pm »
Paris and London--how cool!

I have a great airport security story--
A month post-op I was flying home from LA to Charlotte, NC.  I was in a wheelchair going through security, ( 1/2 mohawk and big nasty scar  prominently displayed by my short hair) because my balance was still really cattywhompus and I was flying alone. I was practically strip searched at the gate because you never know about little old ladies in wheelchairs.  I had a small makeup case full of tampons in my carry-on.  The security guard decided to open it sideways and boom!--it was like a tampax bomb all over the airport floor.  She just looked at me like I was supposed to get up out of the wheel chair and crawl around on the airport floor and pick them up my self.  "Well I guess those are yours now, aren't they," I said.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

jerseygirl

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 02:11:50 pm »
Great story, Captain! Now I feel a little better about loss of privacy at the airport! Misery loves company, as you know.

Eve