Author Topic: 'heavy headedness'  (Read 3319 times)

ksiwek

'heavy headedness'
« on: August 12, 2010, 08:47:39 pm »
Hi All!

It has been a few weeks since I have posted...and all and all my recovery is going very well...especially considering my pre-op symptoms and concurrent recovery from a c-section!  I am now 10 weeks post op.  My balance is good and has steadily improved.  My husband set up a balance course in our basement for me to 'practice' daily and between my PT appts.  I walk daily and have gone for bike rides a couple of times a week!  Ohhhh and I managed to wear high heels for a few hours to a wedding (which I felt very brave for attempting...no sprained ankles hear!)  I still have nystagmus (sp) and some eye issues that I am sorting out, but have felt ok enough to do some driving at slower speeds in local traffic!  My face is still intact as well!  I am not sure when I will go back to work as I am in medical device sales, which requires at least a few hours of driving a day...which I know will be soooo fatiguing yet!

I would say the most troublesome thing now is the heavy head feeling (is this wonky head?) that I only have while standing and moving around.  It really comes and goes and feels like I am floating a bit.  I am just wondering how long this feeling lasted for some of you and if there is anything that has helped.  I am sure that this topic has been discussed over and over so I apologize for that!  It is so frustrating to feel this when I am taking care of my newborn especially!  Thankfully my mom is living with us during the week while hubby is at work to help when I have my 'spells'.  I am just feeling a little down about it and wondering if it will ever go away...I realize that I have had a great recovery thus far and need to be patient.  I guess I am just looking for some of you who have had this to tell me how long it took for it to ease up???  Has anyone found that humidity has made it worse...it has been as humid as a sauna in the midwest this past week and I can barely stand my morning walk...ugh!  Any other triggers that you have noticed...or is time the best healer as usual  ;)!?!

On a positive note, baby Parker is doing so well!  He is growing so fast and is an invaluable incentive to keep moving forward.  I want to be better for him..to be the best mom that I can be   ;D  You would never know that he was a preemie!  I feel so blessed that he is such a good baby!  What a story I have to tell him when he gets older!  So blessed in many ways...

Thanks as always for listening :)

Kris
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

Tisha

Re: 'heavy headedness'
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 07:42:25 am »
Hi, I have nystagmus (and heavy head...wonky head).  It's getting better (I'm a CK patient with no problems in this area for 16 months post CK).  I find that 25 MG of Dramamine Less Drowsy (Meclizine is the active ingredient) stops it for at least 24 hours.  I haven't had one episode in 12 days, so that's good.  If I know i want to do something important, I have taken it in the past before it even started.  25 mg doesn't make me sleepy...just a bit more subdued.  50 mg knocks me out.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 07:44:14 am by Tisha »
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys

Lizard

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 09:19:44 am »
Kris,
It sounds like your recovery is progressing as expected and considering the size of your AN this is fantastic news.  Its also great to hear that baby Parker is well too  ;D  I love babies, post some pics if you have a chance.  I'm sorry you have such a wonky feeling , and yes its does seem like wonky is what you are describing.  I'm 21 months out and still have some bouts with wonky, but they are much less frequent.  Time is what you will need to see improvement in this area, hopefully its starts too ease up.
Take care and it was great to hear from you,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 01:35:29 pm »
Hi, Kris! 

Thanks for posting.  I'm pleased to read that baby Parker is thriving and that your recovery is progressing nicely.  The 'wonky head' stuff may be around awhile but should resolve at some point.  You truly are blessed.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.