Author Topic: Are there different resolution MRI scans available?  (Read 15990 times)

Stand

Re: Are there different resolution MRI scans available?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 10:29:11 am »
What would the benefit be of with and without?  Just wondering.

iluuvpups

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 07:20:20 am »
Denise, I made my appointment at U. of Michigan with the T3 machine.  --Carol Ann
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

Tumbleweed

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 06:46:06 pm »
The biggest reason why I go to Stanford for my followup tests, even though it's out-of-state for me, is because their MRI images/equipment is superior to what was available to me in my own state. Even I could immediately see the difference. My hypoglossal tumor, which is small, was initially overlooked because of fuzzy imagery in my MRIs taken near where I live. After the first MRI was taken at Stanford (on superior equipment), the radiologist noticed the tumor.

Even within the Stanford family of facilities, differences exist. Dr. Chang told me that the off-campus facility on Sherman Avenue that Stanford uses for imaging has the latest technology and offers superior imaging to that used at the imaging center in the Blake Wilbur building on-campus. Still, the Blake Wilbur MRIs were clearly (no pun intended) good enough to show my hypoglossal tumor.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

mk

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 07:02:40 pm »
What would the benefit be of with and without?  Just wondering.

The usual sequence is a series of images without contrast first, and with contrast at the end. Contrast is needed to detect small tumors, which might otherwise go unnoticed. It can show features like necrosis for example after radiation treatment. The edges of the tumor also appear sharper.
On the other hand nerves and CSF flow appear better in the non-contrast images.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 06:14:32 am »
Slightly off topic here (sorry Phyl  ::) ) but wanted to note that post op my doc always orders my MRIs with fat suppression.

I have fat in my head from my abdomenal graft.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways