Author Topic: Regrowth after Gamma Knife  (Read 4447 times)

computerchic

Regrowth after Gamma Knife
« on: September 12, 2010, 12:48:44 am »
In February 2007 I had Gamma Knife radiation for a 1 cm + tumor and did all the follow up MRI's as the neurosurgeon required. Last August, the tumor was still at 1 cm with a dark center. Dr said progressing as expected, no problem. MRI done August 30, 2010 shows the tumor is now 3 cm + and no longer dark in center.  I am going to a neurosurgeon for possible surgical date on September 14. My faith in radiation treatment is gone.

nanramone

Re: Regrowth after Gamma Knife
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 04:23:26 am »
Hi computerchic~

I'm sorry to hear about this.  I did my research and learned that this can happen, but it's not common. May I ask where you had GK? I had GK so recently that I have the first follow up MRI in November. I guess your experience is the reason so many people opt for surgery in the first place - they say they just want it out of there!

I can not imagine your frustration. I hope you'll stay in touch and keep us all informed about the outcome of this.

Nancy

nanramone

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 04:27:30 am »
Hi again - I also want to add that i just noticed the post directly below yours - there was a recurrence of the the tumor after removal 5 years after surgery was done at House, which is considered the best place in the country to go for surgery. So I don't think radiation is to blame - sometimes, rarely, sadly, the stupid tumor is more stubborn than we want it to be.

Nancy

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 05:48:28 am »
I am sorry to hear of this news.  As Nancy noted.... not common but is a possibility (success rates usually high, but always know this can happen)... and for those of us that have had radiation for our AN's..... always something we keep in mind.  Please keep us updated on further info so we can track your situation and cheer you on.

One person of good reference is "Stoneaxe". He had proton radiation in Boston a few years back... his AN grew and had it surgically removed last year (if memory serves me well).  Again, not common but can happen.  He's doing well... even paddleboarding, so a source of inspiration to help you through this......

Please hang in there.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 07:31:56 am »
Phyl's right - sometimes people have regrowth after GK.  I know my doctor has at least one patient who did GK and then had to have surgery because her AN failed to stop growing.  Not the doctor's fault at all - just one of those things.

Phyl's also right that Stoneaxe had this same scenario about a year ago - and he's doing well.

Good luck to you.  I hope everything turns out well.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 01:02:00 pm »
Computerchic ~

Hello - and welcome, although I regret that you have to deal with a re-growth.  I wouldn't completely discount radiation treatment because statistics show that there is a less than 5% regrowth rate for AN patients who've undergone Gamma Knife treatment.  However, no one will deny that statistics don't mean much when your AN regrows - and I'm sorry to learn that yours did.  I hope you'll be able to secure a surgery date, soon, and finally be rid of your AN.  Please try to keep us updated on your situation - and consider these forums as a resource for information and support.

Jim
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 03:13:38 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

tichinose

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 03:12:38 pm »
I am sorry to hear.  I finished radiation in June 10 after having surgery in July 08/...Now I have to get gold weight put back in my eye Sept 24.  I am really getting balance issues back and numbness.  The presurgery and pre radiation symptoms are returning.  Did this happen to you.

moe

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 10:28:20 pm »
So sorry to hear about the regrowth, but we are here for you as you prepare for surgery.
Questions about surgery? You're at the right place. ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

computerchic

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 04:15:55 am »
Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.

To answer your question, I had Gamma Knife at LSUHSC in Shreveport, Louisiana with Dr. A. Nanda.

I dont yet know who will do the surgery, but am having a consult Tuesday with Dr. Brian Willis in
Bossier City, LA.