Author Topic: Gamma Knife  (Read 1876 times)

formula30

Gamma Knife
« on: August 18, 2010, 08:56:28 pm »
I spoke with my neurologist today.....Dr. Evans..really like him from Thomas Jefferson, he has recommended gamma since I want to go with radiation.  He says the FSR is for saving hearing which I don't have enough serviceable hearing left, so I could go with Gamma............I was ready for FSR but he said they could either do gamma, or Novalis one time treatment.  I really trust him.......I know there is only a slight chance this can be malignant, but what if it is...........does this radiation cause more of a problem than surgery. 

sunfish

Re: Gamma Knife
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 07:18:31 am »
Hello, welcome, and sorry about that rotten AN thing . . .

I did lots of research before I had CK.  I think it's extremely, extremely rare for anyone to develop malignancy related to their treatment via radiation for an AN.  Read, read, read about this.  There are many articles and abstracts (summaries of articles) on this website.  I found the ANA patient survey to be particularly helpful, in that it listed percentages of folks who had various symptoms before treatment, and percentages who had various symptoms after treatment.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Re: Gamma Knife
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 09:54:19 am »
Formula 30

The only information that I can give is that my doctor at Stanford has indicated that in about 40% of those that have either CK or GK have some hearing loss from the radiation.  Of course that still leaves 60% do not.

Good Luck

TJ