Author Topic: St. Luke / Rosevelt NYC: anyone has any experience?  (Read 3252 times)

annamaria

St. Luke / Rosevelt NYC: anyone has any experience?
« on: August 05, 2010, 06:25:36 am »
As you know, I am in the research mode to find care for my tumor. I was told that St. Luke NYC has a good brain surgery center. Does anyone on this Forum have any knowledge, experiences, information on this institution?

AnnaMaria

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: St. Luke / Rosevelt NYC: anyone has any experience?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 12:10:46 pm »
AnnaMaria ~

Although I don't have any direct information or experience with St. Luke's hospital in Manhattan, I can give you a link to their website so you can get an idea of what they have to offer.  http://www.wehealny.org/patients/stl_home/index.html 

Well, it's a start.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

annamaria

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 01:31:46 pm »
Jim,

thanks.  This is the link to the specific brain practice: http://www.roosevelt-neurosurgery.com/

Annamaria

ombrerose4

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 02:13:56 pm »
I live right by St Lukes-Roosevelt Hospital. My husband has been there for various things. Their ER is ok- efficient,great nurses. Unfortunately, I did not feel the care on the floor was adequate. No one seemed to know what was going on, confusion and anxiety for patients. They let my husband go home after he fell in subway and had hugh bump on head instead of doing the proper thing and observing him for 24 hours. The next morning he woke up at 5am, walked into the living room and passed out.
Had to call 911, and of course he had a concussion, duh!. If you don't already have a relationship a doctor, I would suggest you check out either NY Pres. Hospital or Mt. Sinai or NYU. They all have great neurology departments and well known Drs. If you ask, people on the forum will tell you about their Dr's. My doctors were from Mt. Sinai and I was very happy with my care and their caring.If you want more info ,please let me know,
Lauren
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

annamaria

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 03:49:07 pm »
Lauren,

thanks -- I appreciate the input.  The hospitals you mention are considered top-of-the-line, also by me. But you know what? Insurance won't cover them. In fact, it seems that insurance policies (although I have a good one) do not seem to cover the top institutions ...

Any additional inputs from anyone on this forum are, for certain, valued and appreciated.

Annamaria

ombrerose4

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 05:12:22 pm »
Can I ask what health insurance you have? I have 1199 NBF union insurance and Mt. Sinai took it. The only doctor who didn't take my insurance at Mt. Sinai was my neurosursurgeon, who told me from the first visit not to worry about it. He said after I would get the bill, I should write a letter to him that claimed hardship. I did that and him and the insurance company settled for $13,000 instead of $37,000. What hospitals does your insurance cover?
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 09:37:23 am »
FWIW, Mt. Sinai took my insurance without any problem as well. I have United Healthcare.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman