Author Topic: Repairs x 2  (Read 17726 times)

Lizard

Re: Repairs x 2
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2010, 12:24:14 pm »
DKL,
I don't have a BAHA, but I would suggest trying the demo, it will give you an idea of how it works.  Do you have a Dr that does BAHA's, if not go to the cochlear America site and check it out.  I'm sure Jan (our resident BAHA guru will be along with some further details).
Good luck to you and hopefully this is a viable option for your SSD  :)
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2010, 12:43:18 pm »
I am new to the forum, but had a translab procedure performed on a 3cm AN in Nashville 2 1/2 years ago.  I had never even heard of the BAHA until I accessed this site 3 days ago.  I have SSD and I, too, am very frustrated by it in both my professional and personal life.  I was wondering to what extent the BAHA helps you with sound location and tinnitus.  Those are my 2 biggest frustration points.

Not knowing where you are for sure but I'm guessing if you are still in Nashville.  If not, You can find a Baha surgeon near you; http://www.cochlearamericas.com/Support/38.asp
I would try out the demo before deciding on the surgery.   I don't have AN but I have bilteral Bahas and love it!  ;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

iluuvpups

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2010, 12:51:46 pm »
What are bilateral Bahas?  I thought Bahas were one for one side?
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

Kencutus

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2010, 12:54:47 pm »
What are bilateral Bahas?  I thought Bahas were one for one side?

Bilateral means two.  I have one on each side since I am deaf on both sides. People can wear two hearing aids, Cochlear Implants or Bahas.

iluuvpups

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2010, 01:01:12 pm »
But I thought a Baha required one good ear?  So if neither ear hears, where is the hearing coming from?  Thanks for helping me to understand.
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

Kencutus

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 01:07:59 pm »
But I thought a Baha required one good ear?  So if neither ear hears, where is the hearing coming from?  Thanks for helping me to understand.

Not necessary to have one good ear.  As long you have a functioning cochlea (inner ear) on either side, Baha will work on either side.  For me, I prefer to have two of them so I can have a near normal hearing like the rest of the people.  I have functioning cochlea on both sides.  I have non-working middle ear (three little bones) and none on the other side.  Baha is like a bone conduction hearing aid but better.  Read more about Baha here; http://products.cochlearamericas.com/baha/introduction-to-baha
One thing they are telling you is for single sided deafness, That's not always true.  I know there are a lot more people like me who has bilateral Bahas.   

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2010, 11:34:56 am »
Carol Ann -

note that Ken is a BAHA wearer because he has Treacher Collins Syndrome.  He is not SSD as the result of an acoustic neuroma.  Lots of people wear BAHAs for different reasons.

DKL -

sorry I've been off the Forum a few days.  Had a little issue with my job - which no longer exists  :P  Well, enough about me - let's just say I could use some prayers and a new job in the Chicago area if anyone is looking for an excellent accountant  ;D

BAHAs are amazing.  Here is one of my favorite links http://www.umm.edu/otolaryngology/baha.htm

You should also check out www.cochlearamericas.com - their Cochlear Community (free discussion forum for CI and BAHA wearers) is a great resource (you'll see me there).

And last, but certainly not least, my partner in crime Lori (lori67) just moved from Nashville to Virginia Beach a few months ago, but I believe her BAHA was implanted in Nashville - perhaps even with your doctors.  I'm not positive.  But I will send her a link to this post and ask her to respond.

BAHAs rock!!!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2010, 11:53:09 am »
Forgot to provide an update on my surgical extravaganza - aka as my "big" surgery LOL  :D

Had my 2-week followup appt. yesterday.

Steri-strip was still stuck to my hair and my head.  Doc had to use his trusty razor to remove it.  Personally I think he just likes to cut people's hair.  Perhaps next time he'll take more gray  ;)

He said the area looked "okay" - is apparently still healing - told me to use bacitracin 2x a day for 1 week.  (Hear that, Lori?  Break out the Dawn!)  ;)

We both noted that the "lump" where the screw resided is gone, which was kind of interesting to me because the screw was so tiny I don't see how it caused a lump in the first place  ???

Ask if said screw was magnetic - as in how do you hold it because it's so small? - and found out that it's not.  Was told the screwdriver is a "special screwdriver" but it's not magnetic.

Medical stuff just fascinates the hell out of me  ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2010, 12:05:18 pm »
It makes sense that the screw was not magnetic. If it were, we would not be able to have follow-up MRIs. It is probably titanium, same as the mesh.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Lizard

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2010, 02:41:04 pm »

Jan,
It could have added to my magnetic personality...too bad

sorry about your job, almost wishing I didn't have one right now...month end ugh!  Hope you find one fast!  Sorry I can't help.

Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2010, 05:07:14 pm »
Good point, Saralynn.  Never thought of that.

Just couldn't figure out how a doctor could reasonably screw (or unscrew) something that tiny without it falling off the screwdriver.  Maybe docs are just better with tools than I am (admittedly, I'm not much of a handyman - nor have I ever drilled a hole in anyone's skull)  ;)

Liz -

I left my employer one day before the end of the fiscal year.  Lots of work for the upcoming audit and I don't pity my staff whom I left behind to deal with that.  Actually I feel a little guilty, but that's out of my control.

It's very strange not being employed - I've worked continously since I was 16 (will be 49 in a few weeks) - and while I'm liking the time I now have to get out and run, etc., I miss the old "grind".  My work was a huge part of my life and I was very passionate about it and dedicated to it.  I'm anxious to find something I can be equally passionate about and dedicated to (other than my BAHA) and hopefully I won't have to wait too long.

Keep me in your prayers, please.

Jan

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2010, 06:14:29 pm »
Jan, do you think that Cochlear needs an accountant? It would be fabulous to combine both passions.

I think you should send an inquiry.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Kaybo

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2010, 08:35:56 pm »
Sara~
I was thinking that very same thing!!  :o  As Dave always says...either like minds think alike OR Fools seldom differ!   ;D

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2010, 08:50:44 pm »
Kaybo - I always heard "Great minds think alike." Let's stick with that one.

See Jan, now you have to send a resume to Cochlear.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2010, 10:15:06 pm »
Damn good idea.  I'm wondering how receptive they'd be with my telecommuting from Illinois though  ???

As much as I like Colorado (and I love my BAHA), I have two children to consider - one whom is totally consumed and enamored with his high school football team; and after having a few tough fatherless years, I'm thrilled to see him coming into his own and bonding with some very positive male role-models.  I've never really worried about my daughter; she's a tough cookie, like her mom  ;)

My time will come; right now I have two more important people to focus on.

But, I appreciate your votes of confidence  ;D