Author Topic: Repairs x 2  (Read 17725 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Repairs x 2
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 02:45:33 pm »
Jan ~

Thanks for sharing your titanium mesh screw removal adventure with us.  Because so many AN surgery patients have these tiny screws in our skulls, this could happen to any of us and your account (and the photo) help allay any possible trepidation we might have about getting one removed.  I'm pleased to learn that this was a quick and easy procedure for you. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 02:59:15 pm »
Thanks for sharing with us even thou I don't have AN but I learn something new everyday.  Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks?  ;)  Glad the procedure went swift and you're back home quickly.
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 03:56:12 pm »
Well, gosh, you know me - I'm big on sharing adventures  ;D

I'm actually very happy that I can stop trepidations and allay fears when I'm able to.  Knowledge is power, IMO, and I also feel that the more you know about something, the less frightening it is.  Especially when it's a simple procedure that you imagine to be not so simple.

I just spoke to an ANer last evening who is planning on BAHA surgery, but had big questions about how difficult it is.  After I told her I had local anesthesia and discussed my surgery with her, she wasn't afraid anymore.

Ken -  

you aren't much older than I am - and I'm definitely NOT an old dog  :o  We are both young dogs, for sure  ;D

Best,

Jan
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 11:14:07 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2010, 05:23:00 pm »
AAAARRRR!!!!!! So ye finally had that loose screw removed--so THAT were the problem!!!  I hope that the sawbones scallywag dint charge you an arm and a leg, cuz yers truly woulda popped thet little devil outta yer noggin wiv me riggin' knife whilst we was in Chicago fer naught but a draft o' grog!!!!!  Maybe ye needs ter make yerself an earbob outta the lil sucker!!! 

Big hugs, to ya!!!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2010, 10:11:10 pm »
Actually, the screw was never loose.  It was just an annoyance.

But a doc who can remove an annoyance in roughly 10 minutes with only an injection of lidocaine and a screwdriver should be hired.  Not that your offer of your riggin' knife isn't appreciated  ;)

I'm sure the insurance company will be charged a very large sum, for both the doc and the surgical facility, but once it's deeply discounted the doc will most definitely be ripped off by the fee he receives and the poor nurses at the surgical facility (who BTW were phenomenal) won't be driving Mercedes.

An earbob.  Now why didn't I think of that?
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 09:26:37 am »
Wow I cannot believe the size of the screw and yes I can feel mine little more than an annoyance and the surgeons said if it keeps bothering me very easy to remove and do not have to worry about it being taken out... Amazed that it was so easy and they even let you drive home.... Thank you for sharing that with us one less thing to have to worry about if the time comes for some of us if it becomes necessary to have it taken out...

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 12:21:18 pm »
Pat -

don't worry at all.  The screw is about the size of the screws they use for eye-glass frames.  In fact, I was trying to figure out how my doc even held it in his fingers to "install" it.  Perhaps a magnetic screwdriver  ???

Anyway, it's a very simple & short procedure.  I still think it could have been done as an in-office procedure, but I guess having a more sterile environment is a good thing.

Jan

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 08:37:28 am »
Thanks Jan you always say the right thing to make everyone feel better and now I am visiualizing how do they get those tiny screws in there definitely magnetic...everytime I lose one of my eyeglass screws it is a comedy scene especially when the screw falls to the floor... So I guess if the doctor does drop one it most definitely has to be sterile... another visual !

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

grega

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 11:02:19 am »
Hey Jan .....

Your "titanium mesh screw removal adventure" sounds fun!
Seems forum folks have heard of just one.
With decorum at the fore,
Joined thoughts from Oz and Baltimore,
The cheer goes out .... Good On Ya, Hon !

Scheeeeeesch  ::)

greg  ;D
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

lori67

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 11:21:13 am »
Jan,

I missed out on this whole thread!  How could I have missed the opportunity to make fun of your loose screw?!   :D

But you know, my guess would be that having that dime in your skull was more of a problem than that little tiny screw.  Happen to have a $20 bill in there?  I could use a little cash.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 05:06:15 pm »
Nice poem, Grega  ;D

About time you showed up, Lori.  Without you and Pooter around, I don't feel quite "hassled" enough - and I miss that  ;)

Very amusing about the dime  :D 

Thanks for the laugh,

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 08:10:58 pm »
Jan~
You really do have some "cents" up there?

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2010, 07:37:52 am »
Yes, Kaybo, and it's also been confirmed - by my doctor via my MRIs - that I DO have a brain ;D

Very amusing pun!

Jan

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2010, 08:25:16 am »
The radiologist who read my MRI told me I have a "pretty brain."

And when I had an ultrasound for my middle daughter, the ultrasound tech said the baby had "echogenic kidneys." Her first compliment - I made sure to write it in her baby book.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

DKL

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2010, 06:02:56 pm »
I am new to the forum, but had a translab procedure performed on a 3cm AN in Nashville 2 1/2 years ago.  I had never even heard of the BAHA until I accessed this site 3 days ago.  I have SSD and I, too, am very frustrated by it in both my professional and personal life.  I was wondering to what extent the BAHA helps you with sound location and tinnitus.  Those are my 2 biggest frustration points.
Translab of 3cm AN by Dr.Bennett and Dr.Hampf in Nashville, TN on 11/27/07.  Right sided deafness and complete facial paralysis post-op.  Significant facial nerve function returned over course of a year and a half.