Author Topic: Full feeling in head after Radiation treatments  (Read 3409 times)

patt

Full feeling in head after Radiation treatments
« on: August 03, 2010, 08:55:19 am »
Hi to all my AN Friends ---

Sorry, I have been gone for awhile.  I have been doing well.  I was diagnosed with a 2.7 cm Rt AN in March 2010.   I got a lot of very helpful information from this site.  I want to thank all of you for all the support you gave -- it was needed and it helped.

After researching for several months, I decided to do "FSR".  I had 30 treatments.  I completed those on the 12th of July.  I have to go back and see my Dr next week and then 3 months after my last treatment I will be having a repeat MRI so see how the tumor is doing.   I have lost alittle hair at the site of treatment, but if you weren't looking for it, you wouldn't know.    I have been having "FULLNESS" in my head --  not everyday.  It seems like it wants to radiate out and give me a slight earache in both ears -- not bad, but there.  When I have this feeling, my hearing is different also.  Just wondering if any of you have experienced this feeling and what can you tell me about it.

Tired --  that seems to be getting better.  During my treatments, I did have some days that I had to just sit down and rest -- body was talking to me.  It was very busy around here at that time too, so that was another reason I was tired.  Nothing wrong with a nap every now and then.

How have all of you been doing??   For those of you that have had Radiation treatments --- how long would you say that you had side effects from the treatments and how are you doing now?   It is so nice to hear from others that have gone thru the same treatment.  Hope all is well with you and hope to hear from you.

If any of you have questions about my FSR treatment, I am willing to share with you as much as I can.   I was given such support from others on this forum -- now it is time for me to help others.

Thanks  --- Patt from Minnesota
Patt  - age 63
Diagnosed - 3/22/2010  -- sudden hearing loss Rt ear
Right ear -- 2.7cm
Left ear -- limited hearing
Will be having "FSR" 
Starting date is June 1st, 2010
30 treatments  --  6 sites
July 12, 2010 -- Completed "FSR" treatments
Oct 2010 - MRI -Slight decrease in size

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Full feeling in head after Radiation treatments
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 03:47:16 pm »
Hi, Patt ~

Good to see you post again and great to learn that you're doing well following your FSR treatment.

As an FSR 'veteran', I can honestly say that I never noticed any post-radiation symptoms, other than fatigue.  Because I underwent retro debulking surgery 90 days prior to my FSR sessions (and was 63 at the time) I assumed the fatigue was mostly from the surgery.  My 6-month post FSR MRI showed some swelling - but I didn't notice any symptoms.  My radiation oncologist (and my neurosurgeon) were a bit concerned and ordered another MRI 3 months later - and by then, the swelling had subsided.  Later MRI reports showed some necrosis and tumor shrinkage and, best of all, I've not experienced any symptoms.  In fact, I'm doing great, some 4 years post surgery/radiation.   I trust that soon, you'll be free of the symptoms you're currently experiencing.

Thanks for your generous attitude toward 'paying it forward' with other AN patients.  That kind of attitude is what makes - and keeps - these forums so useful and active.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sunfish

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 08:43:13 am »
Well, I'll take a shot at an answer, although I had CK and not FSR.  I had symptoms which I attributed directly to the after-effects of CK for a couple months.  Some very minor headaches, and "pressure" feeling at times in the back right-side of my head (AN side).  This was easily relieved with naprosyn (Aleve) or ibuprofen.  I had increased tinnitus, but this has fallen off to almost nothing over the past nearly 5 months (this is a blessing!).  Some weird sensation/perception/hearing/feeling/tinnitus kind of neurological thing every so often for a couple months, now no more.

I developed some balance/disequilibrium problems about 3 months after treatment, which have seriously cramped my lifestyle over the past month.

I'll probably post a 5 month update on another section of the forum soon.

Recovery from radiation is more of a "process" than I had necessarily bargained for ahead of time, at least in my case.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Tumbleweed

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 01:27:20 am »
Hi, Patt:

I had CK. Had several episodes of fullness in the ear before CK, but not afterwards. It was always accompanied by hearing loss, which would afterwards partially recover. I think the fullness sensation is very common for people with ANs. It typically doesn't last for too long (days) but may recur.

I had side effects  following treatment -- mostly severe fatigue (for the first two months), hyperacusis (at about the 3-1/2-month mark, for about a week) and heightened disequilibrium (for six months) -- but then quickly rebounded. I now feel really good, way better than I imagined I'd ever feel again.

Recovery from radiation treatments takes time for many of us. It might even take a year. But you will feel much better in time.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 08:18:20 am »
I also had CK. Call me lucky I guess? I never had any side effects from the five two hour treatments I had. Like I said, lucky I guess! What I did have were very positive results...no luck involved...just good Doctoring!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.