Author Topic: "Sinking" BAHA  (Read 17903 times)

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
"Sinking" BAHA
« on: July 31, 2010, 10:32:01 am »
Well, you all warned me about the "sinking" BAHA phenomenon.  You were right.  My post feels like it is sinking.  But thanks to all of you, I understand that it just means my skin is growing up around the post, the post is not sinking into my skull.  However, it is doing this in a lopsided manner.  It is much closer to the skull on one side than the other.  Is that normal?  I guess from a technical point of view I can understand that one side is healing and growing faster than the other, but just want to know if any of you have had the same experience?  Also want to know at what point you started cleaning around the abutment with a soft brush.  Forgot to ask my doctor if I should be doing that yet.  Thanks, as always for your valuable input.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: "Sinking" BAHA
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 10:41:40 am »
Dale -

you are correct, the sinking phenomenon is totally normal.

My abutment is "lopsided" - one side is a little bit closer to my skull than the other side - and that's normal also.  It will make more sense once you are able to attach your processor to the abutment.  The way the processor "balances" on the abutment once it's placed, makes it work perfectly with the lopsided skin.  The processor should be close to the skin, but not touching it.  Processors touching skin leads to distorted sound or a processor not working at all.

I don't recall at what point I started to use the brush, but it's to clean the abutment not the skin.  In fact, you should take care not to use it on your skin, because aggressive "scrubbing" of the skin can cause irritation and at times can lead to infection.  Aggressive is a subjective term here, because with that area of your head being numb from the implant surgery, you may not be conscious that you are being aggresive.

From what I know, some use the brush, some don't.  I use mine on occasion - maybe one every week or every two weeks.  I don't spend a lot of time cleaning my abutment - just wash it along with my daily shampoo in the shower.  I don't use a washcloth or anything, just my fingers. 

The brush, when dry, can also be used for cleaning your processor from what I've heard.  I haven't ever down this - but I'm somewhat of an exception.  Apparently dust can get into the processor and cleaning it with the brush will help it's longevity.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 10:56:01 am »
Thanks, as always, Jan.  I received a package in the mail from Cochlear called an Aftercare Kit.  It includes a brochure, DVD, wipes for cleaning the sound processor, different wipes for cleaning the abutment, a battery tester, sound processor brush and abutment cleaning brush.  Both brushes are small.....smaller than a toothbrush, but the abutment brush has a longer handle.  The sound processor brush looks sort of like an eyebrow brush....very small.  The kit also includes a mirror.  They must have sent this to me at the same time they sent the processor to my doctor's office, as I know it arrived about the same time.  I wonder if this is something new they are doing.  Also, it occurred to me that they may do this so that you will buy more from them as needed!  I don't even know if any of this is necessary.

BTW, the Dawn soap you and Lori sent is GREAT for the ointment that accumulates around the abutment.  No need to scrub, it just lifts the grease.  Great idea!
~Dale
PS  I have posted so much that I am no longer a "newbie".  Is this a milestone?
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 11:16:11 am »
Lori is to be thanked for the Dawn suggestion.  I don't know if she learned this through her life as a nurse, or her life as a mom, but either way it's a great idea.

I never received an Aftercare Kit from Cochlear, but I have heard of them.  They were developed after I got my Divino and since my BP100 was an upgrade, I didn't get one then.  Personally I think they heard of Lori's and my Official BAHA Recovery Kits and were afraid of the potential competition  :D

I have a few blue "toothbrushes" that say Cochlear, two safety lines (look like fishing line), a jar of drying beads, and some spare batteries that came with my processors.  You'll probably get similar items when you get your processor.  I don't have a battery tester, but the BP100 beeps twice when your battery has an hour of power left.

Some items should be ordered through Cochlear, but truthfully some can definitely be replaced by things you can find at your local Walmart - and probably for less money.  For example, the Cochlear "toothbrush" can easily be replaced by a child's soft toothbrush.  I've heard of people using baby wipes to clean their abutment.  Batteries can be purchased online, but I just purchase mine (Duracell, size 13) at Walmart or Walgreens. 

Necessary is a matter of opinion.  As I said earlier, I don't often use my brushes, I've never used my safety line (but I've found out that lots of people do), I've never used my drying beads, but that's a big no-no my friends at Cochlear tell me.

Congratulations on moving out of the newbie category!

Jan 

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 12:06:32 pm »
Jan,

The Dawn thing came from my life as a clean freak!   :D

As far as the cleaning brushes, I use a kid's toothbrush and some antibacterial soap around the abutment about every few days.  I actually find the blue one from Cochlear is a little too soft for me.  Dale, I'd ask your doctor what his suggestion is for using the brush at this point.  Mine was okay with me gently cleaning the area with a soft brush as soon as my incision was healed.  My doctor also said it was okay for me to wash my hair the night after my surgery.  A lot of other doctors want you to keep the area dry for a certain amount of time, so it really all depends on the doctor.  If you use hair spray or things like that, it's probably a good idea to use baby wipes or a wet washcloth to clean it off the abutment.

My abutment is a bit lopsided too.  Actually I don't think it's the abutment itself, but just the scar tissue around it - it's just a little higher on one side than the other, but not by much.  As long as it's not up over the metal part, it won't be a problem with the processor.

And Jan, tsk tsk for not using your drying beads!  I use mine every night and still have short in one of my microphones from moisture getting in there.  Darn humidity here in VA!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 12:14:23 pm »
I don't use the brush (provided by Cochlear) at all.  I just use a Q-tip and I would dap a little Bacitravcin and just go around the outside of my abutment.  I would do it gently and every other day after I wash my hair or shower. I have  no problems with my Abutments.  ;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 03:00:06 pm »
Jan,

The Dawn thing came from my life as a clean freak!   :D

Wait a minute.  I always thought you, Kaybo, and I were triplets separated at birth - although we were all born in different years  :D

However, if you are a clean freak, I'm not so sure we are related.

I have been chastised by a few people @ Cochlear now about not using the drying beads.  They're supposedly a must - although I've never had an issue with moisture in my processor.  However, I intend to change my ways one of these days and actually use the beads.  You'll notice I said "one of these days"  ;)  It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

At the Cochlear event I attended many people reported that they ordered a drying "box" from Cochlear (about $80) which is a type of dehumidifer for your processor.  They reported great results, but I'm not yet ready to fork over $80 for a little box  :)

Maybe I'll buy myself one for my birthday this year.

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 05:38:14 pm »
I wonder if Cochlear has gift cards...hmmmm  ??? ??? ???

DEFINITELY, Lori got the neat genes for BOTH of us!!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 11:40:31 pm »
Jan,

Why spend the money on drying box when you got the drying beads in the jar for free?  The girl at the Ear Institute told me that drying beads in jar works just as good as the electric drying box and it's cheaper.  I notice the differences in sound performance if I do put it in the drying jar daily.  I stopped for a week and notice the differences.  It's better if you put it in the jar daily whenever you can.   Speaking of drying jar, it's time to put one of my Baha in the jar for the night. ;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 06:57:56 am »
Why spend the money on drying box when you got the drying beads in the jar for free? 

I bought a 20+ pound box of "drying beads"  in the form of Cat Litter "crystals" !!... I use it for all sorts of things after learning to care for my BAHA

I have a box plastic box with an inch of crystals on the bottom ... I keep my fishing electronics, camera  (always wet after a trip), BAHA of course.. ,   I left my blackberry phone out in the rain ... left it in my drying box... and its back to life !   the crystals are expensive as cat litter... but its paid for itself in saved electronics!!   (plus a have 2 cats.... so also emergency cat litter!)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 07:46:34 pm »
Joef -

are you serious  ???

Ken -

thanks for the input on the drying box.  I never asked my audiologist about it, but she'd probably tell me what her colleague told you.

The biggest thing I have to do with the drying - whether it's the beads or the box - is start using it  ::)

Kaybo -

glad to hear the neat genes don't run in "our" family  ;)

Jan

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 05:25:42 am »
Joef -

are you serious 

totally !
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 06:06:58 pm »
Hmmm. 

And here I thought you were just pulling my chain  ::)

I wonder what the folks @ Cochlear would say about crystal kitty litter.  Hope it doesn't damage your processor.  As you know, they ain't cheap!

grega

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 01:49:58 pm »
Joef, I totally agree with using litter or any other type dessicant for drying the processor, although I've only used the jar-o-beads so far for this DEMO.  You know those little dessicant packs that come in all sorts of products (e.g. electronics, shoes and boots, pill bottles, etc) .... they would all work for drying the processor.  I save them and always drop a few in my boots after use.  Maybe I'll drop my BP1000 in my boots too .....  ::) 

Also, those cedar blocks and balls and chips should also work .... thereby saving you ..... oh, about 80 bucks!

Dry baby .... dry!

Greg

ps .... Lori, how do you know you have a short in one of the mics?
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

lori67

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 07:48:11 pm »
Greg,

When I put my BAHA on the all over microphones (Ok, I don't know what the one that's not the directional one is called), any noise causes it to make a loud zapping sound.  No one else can hear it, but I sure can!  Yeeeoooowwwcccchhhh!  I was in the grocery store one day and a lady walked up next to me and said something causing the ZAP and she must have thought I was a total nut case the way I jumped and yelled "OW!".   :D  Well, maybe she thought that before my little outburst..who knows.

When I went to see my new neurotologist, I told him about the problem and he said that sometimes the microphones will short out if it gets moisture in it.  I always keep the BAHA in the little jar, but it is very humid here, so I'm assuming that had something to do with it.  Unfortunately, the day I was there, the BAHA lady was out of the office, so I have to deal with it until my appointment next month.  I just keep it on directional, which works better for me anyway, due to how far back my abutment is.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.