Author Topic: House vs. Stanford  (Read 6800 times)

6pick

• Light a candle rather than curse the darkness.
House vs. Stanford
« on: July 28, 2010, 10:54:00 pm »
Would anyone have an opinion about the choice between having surgery at the House Clinic vs. Stanford U?

I've been going to Stanford for my pre-op consultations, but I've been wondering if I shouldn't take a look at House. I figure that it couldn't hurt to ask.
5/21/10 diagnosis: Left side AN: size 25X17; tinnitus with variable volume, garbled word recognition, disequilibrium.

10/11/10 CK treatment@Stanford; Drs. Chang, Gibbs, Lieberson size 25 x 20 x 15 mm

4/24/12 size 23 X 20 X 15 no hearing change

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: House vs. Stanford
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 06:52:56 am »
Pick -

I have been to neither of these facilities (had my surgery a lot closer to home) but from everything I've heard, the doctors at both have stellar reputations.

I don't think you can go wrong with either facility.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 08:20:42 am »
As Jan notes, both have great reputations - I'm partial to House as that's where I ended up, but you would be in good hands at either place from what we've heard here.

Best to you,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

6pick

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 09:13:14 am »
Jan, Cindy: Thank you so very much for your replies. What you have written is not unexpected. I'm eager to hear from others but I don't expect the opinions to be much different.

:)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 09:14:45 am by 6pick »
5/21/10 diagnosis: Left side AN: size 25X17; tinnitus with variable volume, garbled word recognition, disequilibrium.

10/11/10 CK treatment@Stanford; Drs. Chang, Gibbs, Lieberson size 25 x 20 x 15 mm

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 10:13:19 am »
I agree with Jan and Cindy's comments -- both House and Stanford have great reputations.

Like Cindy, I went to House ... making a cross-country trek from New Jersey to do so. I've never regretted my decision, but will hasten to add that one need only look on this forum to realize that there are wonderful AN surgeons and facilities throughout the country.

Best wishes as you reach your decision.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Sam Rush

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 10:17:21 am »
House, definately.  They have developed all the latest surgical techniques, and trained the Dr's at Stanford. The world's expert is at House.  I'm talking about surgery. If radiation is your choice, then probably Stanford
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

OTO

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 06:36:57 pm »
Both have excellent reps.   House Clinic does alot of surgeries which equates to experience.   Either way, whichever decision you make IS THE RIGHT ONE FOR YOU... 

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 08:22:32 pm »
I was diagnosed at House and they were wonderful.  However, I do not have an AN and no surgery was necessary.  I already had SSD.  Stanford has a wonderful reputation.  The thing about House, is that is all they do....hearing and ear issues, including surgery and all other treatment modalities.  I know they are cutting edge, but from what I have heard, Stanford is outstanding.
Let us know what you decide.  Best of luck.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 10:40:38 pm »
I too had my surgery done at House, even though we had a pretty well reknown brain center right here in Phoenix near me (Barrow).  I can't say enough things about House, they were wonderful. Like it was mentioned, these guys have fellowed MANY doctors who have then gone out to become pretty reputable themselves.  As Oto said, whatever you decide and if it feels good and right, it's the right decision for you! Good luck with whatever you decide!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 04:35:20 pm »
Two cents from another House alum...

IMO you are looking at two wonderful places, both have built their reputations on histories of successful treatments.  Ultimately the choice might come down to the doctor and staff you feel most comfortable with, it really can be as simple as that.  I was blessed with having several outstanding local choices, but once I went to House and met with Dr. Brackmann everything just fell in place for me.

- Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

6pick

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 09:29:21 pm »
My deepest gratitude and well-wishes to all who replied. Thank you for allowing me to draw on your experience. Again, what you all have written was not unexpected. I was pretty sure either location would be top drawer. In fact, that was the problem. How do you choose the very best of the best? However, I believe that among this group I would not be criticized for having trouble making up my mind so, as it stands right now, (in case anyone is keeping track  ;)) I'm thinking CK at Stanford. I enjoyed a very freeing consultation with Dr. Chang last Friday wherein he removed many of my major roadblocks and concerns regarding CK.

So thanks again, I'm sure I'll connect with you on other posts.

Mark

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 11:43:30 am »
Hey that is awesome you made your choice, doesn't it just feel great? I remember that moment, it was like "Ok, i'm not behind the steering wheel anymore...i'm just along for the ride now...woooohoooooo! :)"  Good luck and keep us update!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

6pick

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 06:15:58 pm »
Thanks Jay, yes, I'm feeling quite relieved. I'm looking forward to my week long vacation in Menlo Park. You know, a nice stay in a pleasant hotel interspersed with short visits to one of the local "hot" spots - maybe I'll visit it three or four times . . .

I'm also planning to stay in touch, maybe I can help a newbie the way so many on this board have been so helpful for me.

::) Stay Tuned! ::)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 03:24:15 pm »
Hi, Mark ~

I've just returned from a pleasant 3-day weekend getaway spent with my wife to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. A good time was had, I can assure you.  :)

I'm delighted to learn that you've arrived at a treatment decision (CK at Stanford w/Dr. Chang) and have finally surmounted that hurdle a lot of AN patients have to deal with. 

Like many others, I'll 'stay tuned' to learn how your AN 'journey' progresses.  I'm also confident that you'll choose to remain active on these forums to help 'newbies' contemplating a treatment choice.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.