Author Topic: FSR  (Read 2064 times)

formula30

FSR
« on: August 04, 2010, 12:25:24 pm »
I have an appointment coming up with my neurosurgeon to discuss FSR, he is at Thomas Jefferson Hospital, and I feel very confident in him.  I understand that this is a long drawn out event........25 to 30 treatments, mondays thru fridays.........it being in the city the commute could be rather interesting.......I am not good in the city, so I will have someone else drive me......I was wondering since I work in the food service industry, 3 days at 12 hours a day on my feet, and three half days, if I will have a problem keeping up at work??  I would like to get everything figured out with my schedule, before I start treatment.  I now have balance issues, some dizziness, just generally feel off most of the time, fullness in my ear, tinnitus, headaches, and I have been able to work through most of this.  I know everyone is different, I have been reading alot on this board, and still I am unsure of what to expect........my an is 19mm by 18mm by 16mm medium........just touching the brainsteam.  This board has really helped me decide what I hope will be the best treatment option for me.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: FSR
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 01:29:46 pm »
Hi ~

I underwent 26 FSR 'treatments' in the fall of 2006.  This followed successful tumor debulking surgery three months earlier, which 'thinned' my 4.5 cm AN and reduced it to approximately 2.5 cm. Immediately following the surgery, my symptoms - dizziness, intermittent 'stabbing' pain at the AN site, loss of sense of taste - disappeared, never to return.

The sessions were about 40 minutes each and were uneventful.  I drove myself to and from the FSR sessions, a 60 mile round trip, although my wife accompanied me 'just in case'.  I did not suffer nausea or dizziness.  Of course, as you noted, we're unique and one FSR patient's experience cannot be considered a template for every other FSR patient.  However, I would be optimistic about the odds of you coming through the FSR with minimal difficulty and being able to perform your work duties in an acceptable manner.  Of course, I wish you a totally successful FSR experience.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

annamaria

Re: FSR
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 05:23:14 pm »
I'm in the decision mode.

I wasn't too impressed with Thomas Jefferson Hospital after consulting with them. It's now TWO times I'm trying unsucessfully to set up a pro forma visit with a NS there at the insistence of my ENT (from Princeton NJ) over a period of 3 months ... of course, that is just my OPINION.

Visited Dr. Landolfi (Edison NJ) recently ... seems to be a good establishment ...of course, that is just my OPINION.

Annamaria