Author Topic: On the plane to the House  (Read 3235 times)

Karla83401

On the plane to the House
« on: May 14, 2006, 04:36:13 pm »
Hello everyone.  This is not Karla, this is her oldest daughter, Andrea. I just wanted to inform you all that my mom took off to the House at around 1:00 MST. She's a little bit of a mess, as are her children.  We've never been away from her this long, even myself, and I'm 24 years old! We're all a little scared, and we've cried our share of tears as we watched her go away from us. I just wanted to let you all know her surgery is tuesday, and that you all have been so incredible to her, it's been great.  Thank you so much.  I will post either Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning to let you know how she all did.  Thank you again, my mom has found so many wonderful friends, found so much peace and comfort in you all.  Take care, God bless, and for all you mommies, Happy Mothers Day.
diag. 2/23/06 left side
4x8x6mm bony area
1.4x.1.1x1.1cm brain area
waiting for surgery in May 06

Desilu

Re: On the plane to the House
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 04:42:51 pm »
Andrea,

It was so nice of you to let us know about your mom (Karla). We are all hear for you and your mom! She is in good hands and she will be fine. Everyone on this web site will be saying lots prayers and good will wishes for her. Please keep us posted on her progress. We will look forward to reading your posts! Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

cookiesecond

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 05:02:04 pm »
Andrea,
Thank you so much for keeping us updated. We are here for you and your family. We are lifting  you in prayer. We pray peace for all of you,God's hands and wisdom to guide the doctors and a speedy recovery for your mom. She is very blessed to have a good support team. She will need you more than ever now. Take care and keep only good thoughts!
Lynn

Obita

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 06:25:04 pm »

Andrea:

Please tell your Mom I am sending "The Luck of the Irish" her way.

Kathy O'Brien
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

matti

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 06:34:37 pm »
Andrea - Your mom is an amazing woman and such an inspiration to all of us. I know this is scary for you, but please know that she will be fine and is in the BEST of hands.

Thank you for keeping us posted and we are all here if you need anything.  I will be stopping by church on Tuesday and lighting a special candle for your mom, with prayers for a speedy recovery.

I am headed back to school in the fall (after a 30 year absence) and hope I can a achieve a 4.0 like your mom. She is Awesome!!! ;D

Hugs to you,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 07:18:46 pm »
Andrea,

Thank you so much for starting this thread....we are all thinking of your mom and keeping her in our thoughts.  It is a scary thing, and if you need anything just get on here and someone will answer any questions you might have right away.  Anything we can do, we are here not just for your mom but for you and the rest of the family.  Take care and know your mom is in great hands....

3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 08:58:55 pm »
Andrea,
  I know how hard this is for your family!  I'm sure like me, you're mom's biggest worry was you guys!  Please know we are here for all of you.  My prayers and well wishes are with you, you're mom and you're family.  Your mom is one tough lady!  Please keep us posted and don't hestitate to ask if you need anything!

Michelle

Karla83401

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 09:37:46 pm »
Andrea again. . . thanks for all your prayers and well wishes.  If mom had to have a brain tumor, I'm grateful that it's an AN.  But it's still so hard to deal with.  I'm not ready to lose both parents in less than two years.  I have a 17 year old brother and a 13 year old sister.  They've been through enough, as well.  It's just hard, and I imagine it will be until I hear that she did great on Tuesday.  Right now, thinking about her just brings me to uncontrollable tears.  It's been a long day. . . But thank you again.  She said the surgery should last about six hours?  It's supposed to begin around 12:30 (LA Time) , so I think that's about 2:30 my time. I think that's going to be the longest six hours of my life.  Mortality rate is low?  That's what she tells me, but I never know if she's protecting us or not.  And she says she should come out of it the same person she is now. But I'm not sure again about the protection thing or not. I don't know what I'd do.  She's not just my mom.  She's my rock.  My best friend.  I need to know she'll be okay after her recovery.  That she's  not going to change into someone we don't know.  If you guys think she's wonderful on the site, imagine how she is as the mother the four of us have known.  We've all been spoiled by having such a wonderful mother.  What are the facts on mortality during this surgery? will she be the same? I know I must sound like I'm rambing and crazy, but I need someone to be straight with me.  And  maybe that's how she's been.  but she's always put us first, and her first instinct is to protect us.  Even myself at 24 and my brother at 28.  Thank you.
diag. 2/23/06 left side
4x8x6mm bony area

Jeff

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 10:30:53 pm »
Andrea,

My name is Jeff. I am 40 and I have bilateral acoustic neuromas (one on each side). I can totally relate to what you are feeling. My father also has NF2 and bilateral AN's. He had his first surgery when I was 9, and the second when I was 16. It is terrifying, for sure. Between my father, brother, and my dad, we had 5 AN surgeries in a span of 4 years that ended in February. Your mother is working with awesome people at House. I had my second surgery there in 2003, and my brother had surgery in LA performed by Dr. Hitselberger and Dr. Brackmann in Feb. of this year. I am a big fan of my doctors at House, noy ust because of the great work that they do, but because of the great people that they are. The doctors there are great - and they will take great care of your mom. Having been on both sides of these surgeries, I really think that it is easier to have surgery in some ways. You go to sleep, you wake up, and it is done; as opposed to the terrible waiting when a family member is having surgery. Your mother is being truthful about the mortatality rate. It is low, and at House, the surgeons are among the most experienced in the world. Soon, you will all be past this and moving on with your life. I am really sorry that you have to go through this. I will pray for your mother and your family.

Hang in there,

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

Karla83401

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 10:36:54 pm »
Jeff,

Thank you so much.  I appreciate your words.  They mean so much to hear from someone who has experienced both sides.  I am grateful to hear of your high praises of the dr's there.  Brackmann is mom's doc.  Take care, and again, Thank you.  But now I must turn in - this mother of two has had an exhausting day, and I think sleep will make things seem easier to handle.  Goodnight all, you are wonderful.  No wonder my mother loves this site.

Andrea
diag. 2/23/06 left side
4x8x6mm bony area

cookiesecond

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 04:02:31 am »
Good morning Andrea,
I totally agree with Jeff. From all that I have heard and read, your mom is in great hands at House. I didn't go there but my doctor did study there.My parents have had major surgeries, heart, aneurism and cancer not An but as a child of surgery patients I was very scared but Praise God He saw them through and He will bring your mom through also.
I had surgery 8-2-05 to remove a 3 cm An and I am doing good. Only a few balance issues remain and my doctor does not think I will have any permanent damage.
This is a wonderful site for encouragement and inspiration. I am glad you have tapped in.We are lifting you and your family in prayer.
Keep in touch,
Lynn

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 08:44:31 am »
Andrea,

Sending you hugs and chocolate... chocolate certainly helps in times like this... heck, if you are going to have nerves, at least take it out on a good bit (or bite) of chocolate! :)

Hang in there... we're here for ya!

xo
Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

shoegirl

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 11:23:24 am »
Andrea,

I hope all goes well for your Mom tomorrow.  I will say a prayer for her and your family.  She is in very good hands at House!  I wish you all the very best, and hope her surgery and recovery are a success.

Good Luck and Best Wishes!
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ