Author Topic: Working From Home/Medical Transcription  (Read 1954 times)

Shaoi

Working From Home/Medical Transcription
« on: July 07, 2010, 09:42:32 am »
Hi. I was diagnosed with AN in 9/09. I stopped working in 10/09 because of my symptoms. I am (was) a nurse but now am seriously considering going into medical transcription so I can work from home. I plan to attend an online school but their tuition is too expensive. Any information that you can share with me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Sharon

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Working From Home/Medical Transcription
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 01:11:24 pm »
Hi, Sharon ~

I admire your decision to seek an alternative source of income because you were forced to give up your nursing career.  I checked a few online medical transcription schools and they offered monthly payment plans as well as discounts for those with low incomes (below $20,000 for a single person, $30,000 for a couple).  State agencies often offer tuition help.  Use a search engine to research the possible availability of financial aid for re-training tuition assistance in your state.  Federal assistance may also be available,. You'll have to do some internet research.  Sometimes community organizations and/or foundations provide scholarships but you have to apply for them and often they have rather strictly defined parameters for their award criteria.  A personal loan from a relative might be feasible, but you would be the best judge of that.  If all else fails, I suppose you could put the tuition balance on a credit card, although that would be a 'last resort', considering the high interest rates most credit cards demand.  As you can see, there are options available, if you're determined.  Because you made it through nursing school and worked as a nurse, a noble profession, I assume you have the kind of fortitude necessary to seek and obtain the necessary financing for medical transcription school tuition.  I wish you success and, ultimately, new opportunities.

Jim    

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.