Author Topic: GK after Surgery with Facial Palsy?  (Read 2311 times)

steph28

GK after Surgery with Facial Palsy?
« on: June 28, 2010, 05:48:43 am »
Hello All

I was hoping someone could give me some advise.

I had surgery just over 6 months ago to try and remove my huge AN. They removed 70% of the AN and the remaining 30% I will need GK surgery on.

The facial nerve is still in tacked, but very upset and I do not have movement on my AN side. Saying that it has improved to the point of looking normal when I'm not talking and the eye has started to water, but I am still unable to close the eye fully.

My question is how long should I wait until I have GK? Should I weight until the nerve has healed a bit more? I don't wont to loss what I've got on the GK because I have been told what ever happens the rays will hit my facial nerve as it wrapped around the remaining part of the tumour.

Has anyone else experience this?

Thanks for listening

Steph
x

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: GK after Surgery with Facial Palsy?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 01:56:32 pm »
Hi, Steph - and welcome ~

I believe your question should be directed to your doctor and the radiation oncologist that will oversee your GammaKnife procedure.  I trust that they'll be able to offer you competent medical advice based on your particular situation. 

I underwent FSR 3 months post-surgery (retrosigmoid) but to my knowledge, my remaining tumor was not wrapped around the facial nerve.  I had no problems during or after the radiation treatment and no facial deficits, but that is one person's experience and may not be relevant to your situation, which is why I suggested talking to medical professionals that are well-acquainted with your case and can offer you a credible evaluation and recommendation as to the best time to undergo the GK procedure.  Let us know what the decision is.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

steph28

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 01:14:21 am »
Thanks Jim

My surgeon sent me to two different GK surgeon's for there thoughts and I got a mixed responce. One said that the facial nerve would be at no more risk then someone who had a perfect working nerve and wontted to book me in within a week and the other surgeon told me that the GK could kill the nerve completely, and he would wont to wait to see if the nerve heals anymore. Which has left me very confused as you could image, so I was hoping someone my had gone through the same experience as I had.

Steph
x

mar50

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 06:12:38 pm »
Hi Steph - Similar to Jim, I had GK 3 months after my surgery (posterior fossa).  My facial nerve was also still intact, but I was still having pretty significant issues (eye not blinking, strabismus (sp?) limited movement, etc) with my face at that time, but I don't remember my doctors indicating waiting or not waiting would make any difference.  I was under the impression the timing was because I would be recovered from the surgery itself.  Is there a possibility of getting a third "tie breaker" opinion?  (I know, sometimes it seems like you can be going off to different doctors all the time, but I would be confused by the split advice). 

Whatever you decide, best of luck with the next step!!!

Martha

GRACE1

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 07:49:24 am »
Perhaps you should mail your MRI and questions to several facilities to get their opinions.

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16