Author Topic: Confused newbie  (Read 4004 times)

linda s

Confused newbie
« on: June 25, 2010, 06:08:23 pm »
Hello - I'm another Newbie. I have been on this site so much since being diagnosed, but haven't posted until today.

I was diagnosed with an AN on April Fool's Day !! It's small 7mm x 5mm but very symptomatic - tinnitus, nystagmus and pretty much constant balance issues and my hearing has gone from 60% in Feb to pretty much useless now. I live in Toronto and have seen a few really good doctors who feel that radiation will not help my balance issues and they recommend a wait and watch protocol over surgery, but I worry about the facial nerve becoming an issue and I am frustrated with my day to day balance issues.

My sister lives in San Diego and while visiting her in May I did a consult with the HEI in LA and they recommend surgery - with my sister in the area this is something I could do especially for the early recovery stage and am leaning that way. I know there are some other Canadians on this site and others who have travelled for surgery, and I wondered how you handled the post care and follow-up MRIs etc once you got home?

As with other newbies I have had a lot of anxiety over the decision, but as I get closer to the decision I feel more calm - but I still seem to flip flop back and forth between the options and that's kind of driving me crazy. I also want to say as others have - this forum has helped me so much through my research stage and you are all very supportive people!

thanks
Linda

7mm x 5mm right AN/diagnosed 4-1-10 - hearing loss, balance problems, tinnitus. Having translab surgery at HEI Sept 21st.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Confused newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 11:01:19 pm »
Hi, Linda - and welcome ~

Although I'm sorry you've been diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma, I'm pleased to learn that the ANA website forums have been helpful to you.  Many of our members 'lurk' (read but don't post) so you're in good company in that regard. 

I won't presume to offer advice on how you should address your small-but-problematic AN, however you appear to have a relatively clear idea of what direction you wish to take.  As you know, HEI in Los Angeles is a fine institution with excellent doctors well experienced in AN surgery so you would be in good hands, should you chose that route (surgery at HEI). 

I know we have some Canadian members who have undergone AN surgery at HEI.  One that comes to mind is DonnaLynn who lives in Alberta and had surgery at HEI in early 2008.  This is a link to her profile: http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=4004.  You can send Donnalynn a Personal Message and ask her about her experience, which was quite successful.  I trust that other Canadian AN patients that underwent surgery at House Ear Institute will also respond to your post - and I hope we can continue to help you as you deal with your AN.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 12:30:49 am »
Hey Linda, welcome to our little club!! I am always sorry to see a new member of it, but you won't find a better place for information or just support and encouragement!  I had my surgery at HEI in LA back in December of last year...very good place!! If you do decide to go there, I have a lot of information I can pass on to you describing my whole experience there.  Either way, whatever decision you make will be the right one...so don't second guess yourself after making one.  I know probably the hardest part of the whole thing was making that decision.  Good luck and keep us posted!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

linda s

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 05:20:27 pm »
Thanks for the welcome! I look forward to talking to some fellow Canadians, or anyone for that matter who has travelled for treatment and will contact you for more info  soon Jay.

linda
7mm x 5mm right AN/diagnosed 4-1-10 - hearing loss, balance problems, tinnitus. Having translab surgery at HEI Sept 21st.

mk

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 05:25:07 pm »
Linda,

I encourage you to contact Ann (Keeping Up). She is also from Toronto, with a small AN and under W&W. She had done tons of research on the matter of W&W vs. treatment, knows the Toronto doctors and would be able to give you useful insight. She participates on the forum occasionally, but I am sure she will answer a PM.

All the best,
Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 09:59:19 am »
Hi Linda,

I live in Hamilton and travel to Toronto to see Dr Rutka @ Toronto General.  I had my facial neuroma debulk @ St Joseph's Hospital in Hamilton Sept 2006.  The ENT wasn't experienced enough so in a search of desperation I found this form.  I too was willing to travel to the US and fortunately enough there are several very good Dr in the Toronto area. 

Good luck with your pursuit,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Keeping Up

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 09:37:41 pm »
Hi Linda S

MK referred to me in her post yesterday (or earlier today).  I do check in, but no where near as often as I did when I was first diagnosed now 18 months ago.

My tumor is asymptomatic except for hearing loss (thinking about getting it tested again ... having hearing issues on one side has HUGE advantages when you have 4 small children and like sleeping, but not so good when your husband makes faces at you for the odd responses I can give during the loud daytime hours).  I also have tinnitus which only creates issues in quiet environments, which I don't have very often - so doesn't really bother me.  Thankfully, the random bouts of dizziness haven't created issues recently but I can stumble at times.

Just got back from a camping trip, play soccer with the kids, ride my bike, swim, run, chase etc.  - life hasn't changed at all over the past 18 months (once I got over the initial shock of diagnosis)

As you can see from my tagline, it is also a very small tumor (no growth over three MRIs since November 2008), and is contained within the IAC so no threat to the brainstem or the facial nerve as I understand the anatomy of the nerves.  I also have four young children, work full time and rarely sit down.

I am seen by Dr. Rutka (same as Anne Marie).  I live in Toronto (west end) and workdown town so Toronto General is about as convenient as any hospital in the city.  It is handy taking the subway to the doctor and the MRIs!

Dr. Rutka is a bit W&W guru with a fair bit of documented research behind him to support his opinion.  I could have surgery or radiation and be booked now but was not encouraged by either Rutka, the neurosurgeon referral or the Gamma Knife Centre (Toronto Western).   HOwever, obviously, if the tumor is affecting your day-to-day life (i.e. balance issues, facial nerve etc.), we aren't in the same bucket for W&W.

I do have some W&W research if you are interested (send me a PM with your email address, I will forward ... anyone else, also welcomed).  One is a UK study on W&W and one is Rutka driven study in Toronto (I think it is now a 10 year review of a selection of W&W from his practice - but haven't reviewed the details in several months.)

The path you are on is highly personal.  I have my views which you may not share.  I trust the doctors  I have met and strongly believe in the Toronto/Ontario system.  I have NEVER, and more than likely will never, look for treatment for my AN outside of Toronto.

I chose to watch & wait with the expectation I could go 2, 5 or maybe 10+ years without treatment.  I expect to lose any functional hearing during the W&W (and for all I know may have already made leaps towards that functional threshold ... functional hearing that is, not all hearing.  My Pure Tone Average was almost 30 dbs on the tumor side.).  I have no expectation (but it is possible) to keep hearing if I have surgery, and believe that I would lose functional hearing if I went the radiation route (just maybe not at treatment, but 3-7 years post radiation).  If presented with the requirement to treat today, I would more than likely go with Rutka and surgery, and not radiation (my own issues with the safety LONG TERM 25+ years given my age (getting older every day at 38 years). 

There you have it!

Good luck, a big welcome to this little club, PM if you want any research, apologies if my view isn't what you were looking for.

Regards,

Ann   

dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

linda s

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 07:10:05 pm »
Thanks for all the messages and support and sorry for my delay in responding - I've been away for work most of June and seldom have access to the internet (or the time). I will PM those of you who have offered!

thanks so much!

linda