Author Topic: Newbie with Surgery coming soon  (Read 7924 times)

Angel-1

Newbie with Surgery coming soon
« on: June 20, 2010, 08:22:30 pm »
Hello Everybody, I'm another Newbie, with translab surgery scheduled on July 8th.  Surgery will be at Duke Hospital in North Carolina with great surgeons. I've been on the forum for a while, but this is my first time posting. With surgery getting closer, I'm starting to get nervous.  I have lost all of my useable hearing in the left ear and I do have tinnitus.  I do have some balance issues, but the tumor has not completely destroyed my balance nerve.  My tumor was 1.4 cm when I was diagnosed in February.  I've had some changes in my balance and had some facial spasms, wondering if it has been growing.  This forum has helped me so much and I want to thank all of you that continue to support all of us Newbies and each other. Because of all of you I know I can make it through this surgery.  I'm ready to have this behind me and be a Postie.

Thanks to you all,

Angela
Tanslab on 7/8/2010
Total tumor removal
SSD, facial weakness (but facial nerve still intact),
balance issues getting better
Duke University, Dr. David Kaylie, Dr. Allan Friedman & Dr. Fukushima

Kaybo

Re: Newbie with Surgery coming soon
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 08:56:46 pm »
Angela~
WELCOME!!  I know that this is a very scary time (& that is normal) but try to do something for YOU and enjoy it.  Things probably will change to some degree after your surgery but life can be good again (even if it doesn't seem like it right away!)!!  Just listen to your body...

Please feel free to ask any questions in the upcoming weeks - that is what we are here for!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

kenneth_k

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 04:55:33 am »
Hi Angela.

I wish you luck with your up-coming surgery.

Best regards, Kenneth

tenai98

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 05:55:20 am »
Hi and welcome Angela
I had my surgery april/09...my tumor did kill my balance before surgery and took away most of my hearing...Surgery is the easy part...we are asleep...and always remember the first three days dont count towards recovery...I had my surgery on tues and could have come home on that Friday but because I was from out of town, and it was a long weekend, I convinced them keep me for another few days...After surgery, let your body dictate the rest that you will need...and do alot of walking...so basically its rest walk rest and rest some more and walk and rest...Good luck and keep us informed....We all know what its like to some degree
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 08:35:03 am »
Hello Angela,
  Good luck with your AN treatment.   Let me know if I can answer any questions about the Duke experience.  You're in great hands there.  There is also a local ANA chapter that meets in the Durham area.  Let me know if you would like the email of the person who sends out meeting notices, so he can add you to the email distribution list.  The local meetings are a great place to talk to others who have been through it, and hear about their experiences.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

moe

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 08:51:20 am »
Hi Angela and WELCOME,
Surgery will be here before you know it. Try and stay busy and productive, and exercising BEFORE surgery will help in your recovery.

I also had translab and the incision is barely noticeable. I've had no problems other than the face nerve, but that was unavoidable because of the size. Yours is small, so you should be good to go after your recovery.

Keep in touch, we're here for you :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 01:39:52 pm »
Hello and welcome, Angela ~

Our ad hoc  welcoming committee has already done a fine job of acknowledging your presence here and I just wanted to join them in wishing you an uncomplicated and highly successful Translab surgery on July 8th.  I believe you're having the surgery in a hospital with a solid reputation among our members and thus, I think you'll do very well.  Should you encounter any post-operative issues, I trust that they'll be minor and temporary, which is often the case. 

I've added your surgery date to our AN Treatment Calendar  http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d08/07/2010?authenticate=&display=M&style=B

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 08:49:40 pm »
Hey Angela, another welcome to our unfortunately ever growing club here! I am glad you've been on here for a while, I met a few people when I went to for my surgery and it was quite obvious those who had done their homework so to speak. They weren't nearly as freaked out as those who didn't.  As long as you go into this with eyes wide open, you'll be just fine!! Of course, if you need to vent or anything, please don't hesitate to post...we are all a pretty sympathetic group here! Good luck and keep us updated on how you are doing!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 11:14:22 am »
Hi Angela,

Just want to let you know that we are here for your spouse, family, and/or caregiver as well, and to say welcome to the forum.

You'll be a postie before you konw it,

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Angel-1

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 08:51:14 pm »
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and support!!!

Angela
Tanslab on 7/8/2010
Total tumor removal
SSD, facial weakness (but facial nerve still intact),
balance issues getting better
Duke University, Dr. David Kaylie, Dr. Allan Friedman & Dr. Fukushima

LisaP

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 03:54:48 pm »
Hi Angela,

Best wishes on your up and coming surgery, I am still W&W with my next MRI scheduled in Oct of 10.  Keep us posted. ;D

LisaP
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 06:21:07 pm »
Hi Angela .....

Adding my welcome to this forum.  Dr. Fukushima removed my AN in February, 2008.  I had the best possible outcome and I give him a great deal of credit for my exceptional recovery and outcome.  Let me know if you have any questions.  I was in Duke Raleigh Hospital, not big Duke ..... either place is top-of-the-line in medical care so you will do well, I know.

Best thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011